Existing Member?

The Adventures of Jennifer

July 14th - Cusco

PERU | Thursday, 29 July 2010 | Views [341]

I spent the day in the neighborhood of San Blas, and ate at this little place called "Ollas y Suenos".  For just 10 Soles, I got like a 5 course meal!  Plus, I ate alpaca meat!  I was scared at first, but it tasted like beef.  It was pretty good.  I wish I had my camera, but I didn't have it with me. 

My host dad's brother is the director of the Cusco Planetarium, so he arranged a trip for us.  Initially, we were thinking that we may only be able to get a group of 8-10 people, but at the last minute, many of the other volunteers seemed interested, and we ended up with like 20 people! It was great!

They took us to their Planetarium in Saqsaywayman.  It was freezing! Inside, we turned about the Inca astrology and how important it was to them.  In the dome, we viewed the many different constellations.  Because we were in the Southern Hemisphere, what we see in the sky is much different from the Northern Hemisphere.  Then, we went outside and they had some telescopes set up for us.  We viewed various things, including Saturn, and we were able to see the rings of Saturn.  With the naked eye, the one constellation that completely stood out was Scorpio.  It was so huge and distinct!

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.