Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Melaka May 2010

MALAYSIA | Monday, 31 May 2010 | Views [917]

We arrived in Melaka from Singapore on May 24th. For the next 6 days it was like a nostalgia trip as I had been here back in 2008 on my solo backpacking journey. This time it was to be a different experience being accompanied by my wife. I am a great fan of Melaka (or Melacca, as is commonly spelled) and would love to live here. It is a fascinating melting pot of cultures from the predominant Chinese along side Indian and Indonesian, plus the additional foreign influences that tourism brings to a city.

Getting from the arrival point in Sentral bus station to the centre of the old town is a 1 Ringgit bus ride which initially does not impress. This soon changes when you approach the Portuguese square and the dominant clock tower. The instant appearance of the wonderful rickshaws bedecked in an array of colourful flowers and some with sound systems attached, each uniquely designed by its owner. You have to smile and you keep on smiling most of the time you are here. This place lifts your heart and I always feel excited to be here. Each visit is an exploration of what changes have been made since last time. Some things never change of course, and that is what draws bus-loads of tourists here incessantly.

I always considered the possibility of living here but the MM2H scheme (Malaysia My 2nd Home) makes it expensive as the requirements for foreigners are set quite high. At 50yrs of age I need to invest for 1year about 350,000 Ringgits plus have a monthly income of 10,000 Ringgits to qualify for a 1year visa that could be extended upto 10years. They are trying to encourage investment though, and as such need the high earners to make it worth it. The reality is that you definitely do not need that sort of income to actually live here. It is cheap as befits an Asian country. What you get here though is quality....good food, good accommodation, some night life, tourism to make it interesting, and a progressive country that is trying to do it right.

What we can do though is live here for upto 2months at a time with the present tourist visa rules, so might consider that as an option.

During our stay we met some really nice people, who will form a great contact network in the future if we need help. One man, a 75yr old Chinese character was a real joy to sit with whilst he supplied us with tea served by one of his assistants from a traditional Chinese pot. Want somewhere to rent, to buy...want help with import/export etc...no problem. Another Indian gentleman we met a couple of times, and might even meet again in India. A useful contact for travel help and also the real side of living in a place like this. It is a common statement that travel is about the people you meet along the way and not just the places...how true this is. Seen so many temples which are beautiful and memorable, but the people are the feature. The old lady who runs a traditional Malay house in Ketek village is a lovely lady and without her, the building is still nice, but just another tourist site.

The real joy though was plodding the streets with Shiera and being able to show her one of my most favourite places in Asia. We had a lovely time.

Eating here is an experience as it has its own speciality dishes apart from the ubiquitous Nasi Lemak. Of course, the tourist Mecca of 'Jonker Street' is the more expensive place to eat, but there are cheaper in the side streets and away in the malls and places where the 'Normal People' live. For us one of the highlights was the wonderful antique artefacts on offer in the beautiful shops. Many hours spent searching and researching for future business opportunities...superb place!

Plenty of tourist attractions to keep us busy...St Paul's Hill with its nice view of the city...The Taman Sari revolving observation tower, the river boat cruise for RM10 taking about 40 minutes round trip, to name a few. The river cruise is a must as it shows one of the main projects Unesco invested in, to develop the cultural history of this place for tourism. A monorail is under construction for part of the route which will link a small funride park to one of the boat stations. Awalk along the river bank to the Malay village and back along the other side is a nice way to spend a couple of hours or so. Watch out for the water monitor lizards, mud-skipper fish, fresh water crabs and small snakes along the way.

Of course, you have to take at least one ride on the flower rickshaws (10 Ringgits to 40 depending on your journey). Negotiate with them before you get on. Some want RM50 for a loop of the tourist sites. The joke is that these are all walkable in the compact centre and we opted to just have 30minute ride for RM20. A one way ride from the square can be had for RM10 depending on distance. When we arrived from Sentral we got one from the bus drop-off point to our hotel....fully laden with luggage, the rider earned his ten ringgits with much sweat!

We spent the first 4 nights in the Hallmark Hotel on Jalan Portugis. Comfortable but pricy and being cleaned up, so relocated to a small Hotel near to Jonker street for RM50 a night. Plenty to choose from so not long to find something. One problem...got a blister on my right foot which burst, leading to a few days of discomfort.

Jonker street is the main feature of the weekend for many out-of-towners. From Friday to Sunday, what was a quiet midweek place transforms into a chaotic market streets in the evenings with lots of food stalls and tourist stuff. To be honest I think it is poor quality and this time was not as nice as I recollect from last time. One memorable sideshow here is the Guiness world record guy who stabs his finger into a coconut for a living. Not your average guy! A Chinese showman a who is really selling his own linctus and treatment lotion for rhuematism and aches caused by stabbing you finger into coconuts....something we all do regularly of course!

Even though his whole routine is almosty entirely in Chinese, I felt like it was identical to what I saw in 2008....it probably was, and he still pulled in loads of RM20 notes from the audience sucked into his sales speel. Done twice a week every week, week after week, it is all he needs to survive I guess.

For anyone wanting to overdose on everything you can do with a Durian and still have friends....Melaka is a good place to try. The smell wafts along many areas as the smelly fruit is crafted into Ice-cream, drinks, puff-balls, cakes and many other forms. Not to everyone's liking but the ice-cream is delicious. Having the dominant Chinese influence means lots of odd things for sale that you cannot describe and don't know whether to wear it, eat it or wash with it. Makes for some interesting guess work though.  Sunday 30th May was time to depart Melaka for the capital Kuala Lumpur. Our first mission is to get our visa for India, which might take a full week, so have to get on with it. RM13.5 for a deluxe bus from Sentral station taking about 2 hours.

The journey went smooth as the Malaysian roads are goodand we arrived with a little rain on the way, at the National Stadium bus station, which is soe way out of the main city centre. The usual bus station at Pudurayah is being refurbished, so there is little choice. The heat when we arrived at about 2pm was fierce and the traffic chaotic, so we went straight for a taxi. Seemed like a good idea... Until we arrived at our disebarkation point with a bill of 40 Ringgits! Considering how cheap the bus was that brought us all the way from Melaka, the last bit by taxi swamped the cost. I assume there is an alternative public bus or a walk to a LRT station, but maybe another time.

Next blog will be from Kuala Lumpur. Bye for now.....

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.