Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

What’s been happening then?

THAILAND | Friday, 17 July 2009 | Views [1257] | Comments [3]

Sun 7th Jul - Since my last posting on return from Indonesia life has really been in the slow lane. Shiera was ill with all of the symptoms of swine flu (aka H1N1). The alerts all said to watch out for a list of symptoms in the first few days of returning and sure enough we ticked the list, but she refused to get medical treatment and sweated it out in quarantine for a few days or more. It went eventually and we assume eliminating the idea of it being swine flu. Was very worried there.

Today being Sunday, was market day and we joined the throng of folk cramming the aisles for the weekly produce.  Some new seasonal things appeared today such as ‘White corn’ and the fruit ‘Santol’. Bought some of each to give them a try. White corn differs to normal yellow sweet corn in lacking in the same flavour and being mainly used in soups. Santol is a yellowish dry surfaced fruit that has a similar pulpy inner surrounding dark brown seeds o some other fruits such as Mangosteen, and doesn’t taste as sweet. At only 5 pesos each they are worth a try although you need a knife to open them.

I find that Silang town proper on Sundays is choking, with a big increase in the volume of diesel puffing Jeepneys and tricycles. The air on the approach road was grey with the smog. It surprises me that the folk here haven’t resorted to wearing face masks as has happened in other highly polluted areas. I feel my chest tighten if there for too long.

A few notable sights from the market…..

An old lady was selling ‘Chewing gum for the oldies’. Small green leaves to which Apple powder is applied and then wrapped around a block of flavoured tobacco. Similar to other countries I have been to such as in India where they wrap a concoction of Betel nuts and additives that are actually toxic. They were classed as a social nuisance there and they tried to ban it.

In this hyper-sterilised world we sometimes live in, it is intersting to see babies reared in what can only be described as squalor.  One baby, sat in a bucket full of dirt, with its feeding bottle on the floor next to it; right beneath a meet stall with off cuts falling on the floor and the smell of dubious meat lacing the air; hair matted with dirt and not looking as though it had been bathed since birth. I bet that baby will grow up to be strong and resilient to all known germs!

Some older versions of those childre are weaving their way through the crowds begging for handouts. Being a foreigner means a direct target for their outstretched hands, parents included. Sometimes they are persistent and follow until they get the idea that you aren’t going to give in.

One of the main pastimes recently has been the garden. Borrowed some gardening tools from a nice neighbor and got digging. Managed to get some freebie plants to start off a collection of herbs and fruit. Now got some pineapple and coconuts growing. Being a rented house we don’t want to spend any money on it, but it becomes a challenge to see what can be got for nothing. Going out for a walk is now a foraging expedition for wild plants. Edible leaves are common here and it proves how adapted Shiera is to her environment, as she can identify so many plants and what to do with them that it is an education going for a walk. I am getting to know some of them slowly. Also, when visiting to the market we try to get root vegetables with the roots still attached for planting.

I never used to be much of a movie addict, but have got into going to the cinema again over recent months and buying DVDs from the various cheap stalls. Here you can buy a 24 or more film compilation DVD…not fantastic quality, but acceptable, for 40 to 60 pesos. The top movies that are only just in the cinemas now, are all there. We saw Ice Age 3 a few days ago, and it was on the market today! Admittedly, I always prefer to see it on the cinema first as the quality is infinitely better, and the cinema is only 120 pesos on average.

I have also been trying to catch up with friends and family recently. I have been very negligent for a long while, due to being busy doing other stuff away from the computer. The internet connection at the house continues to be an issue. After months now we still haven’t got a connection that is good enough for Shiera to use for on-line teaching. It just isn’t reliable enough and it might even spell the end to that aspect of her teaching career. Ironic considering the choice of location was based on the ability to gather sufficient work. Not sure what the best way forward is now. It is ok for general internet use, but nothing demanding.

Back out on the hunt for some more garden plants. Bougainvillea grows like a weed here as do many lovely plants, so the garden is now looking full and all that now waits is for it to establish. Okra is a common vegetable too and one interesting thing is that it seems to attract a rather strange form of bug. Pairs of red spotted with black and white bugs are mating at the moment. They cover the okra plants en-masse in a push-me pull-you formation, joined at the rear. The larger male pulls the smaller female along and then the female seems to take over. They wander around the plant in a fascinating dance ritual. The rather cute baby bugs can be found huddled together on dead leaves and feeding on some succulent parts of the plant. What is surprising is that it doesn’t seem to frequent any other plant.

Nice Milkfish for dinner accompanied by all free vegetables and served on banana leaves. Yummee…

The days blur into one at the moment mainly gardening and domestics. The garden is coming on. We now have some Aloe Vera, which you will know as one of those extremely useful succulent plants. Don’t use it much myself other than to rub into cuts, but it is useful for all sorts of skin complaints and beauty treatments. Easy enough to prepare by slicing open the soft stems and slicing/squeezing out the colourless gooey inside. Shiera made a concoction with some cucumber to put in the bath. Good for rubbing on the skin for making it smooth too. We’ve added some Tomato plants, Okra and Chili bushes…all for nothing as castoffs from other places.

There are so many interesting bugs around where we live, that my camera is always close to hand. I have been working through my portfolio of over 26,000 photographs taken over the past couple of years of travel. The aim will be to try and sell some commercially to get some income from it. It would be a waste otherwise, as I have amassed some awesome photographs covering the whole gamut of subjects.

Occasionally a monsoon comes across with such force as it obliterates everything from view. There is a house being built opposite us and a guy dressed like a ninja was sitting on the roof, really high up when the sky opened. The guy looked stranded. It is odd to see Filipino workers building a house, especially when compared with western standards. The bodges (short-cuts) are interesting to watch. Hardly any professional tools used. Of course, when it comes to painting time, no scaffold, just a few bamboo poles strapped together and make like a monkey! The order in which things are done sometimes defies logic, but it comes together eventually. Things have been speeding up lately and every day sees a major step forward towards completion.

And so a few days pass as a blur.....

When we returned from Indonesia I was only given the statutory 21 days tourist visa again. This poses a problem again as it costs 2,530 pesos to extend it to the initial 59 day period allowable, and then I’m back into the two-monthly extension fees. I have to accept this of course if I was to make the Philippines my home base. There are some things I want to do in Thailand and decided to head over there on 13th July when my visa expires. Not sure how long for, but will return to the Philippines after I have finished. Shiera won’t be coming with me this time as there is a pressing need for her to get back into finding work. The distraction of further travel will just delay this. Not a happy situation, but it is a necessity for the moment. It will be unsettling to be apart as we have been together without much of a break for such a long time now.

Of course, when I return from Thailand I will only be given a 21 day visa again, but will have to pay the extension fees then. I will mention one piece of red-tape here that frustrates me to the point of wanting to take on the whole Philippine visa system. When I return here, as mentioned, I will only be given a 21 day visa and be expected to produce a flight voucher for 'onward travel'. In other words, to prove I am going to leave the country. Now...after 21 days I am not going to leave as I live here and rent a house. So I have to buy a flight and then cancel it when I get home....just to shut immigration up! This wastes my time and costs me money of course. After 21 days I then go to immigration and extend to the initial maximum of 59 days and then renew every 2 months. Nobody asks for any proof of me leaving at any of these renewals as long as I have a sponsor whilst I am here....which is Shiera of course! So, why the hell do they ask for it when I arrive? I have the documentation showing I have a house and all else they would require....but no, they need a stupid superfluous flight ticket! Wake up immigration...time to calm down now!

Mon 13th Jul - And so the day of departure to Thailand has arrived. Far too quickly for Shiera's liking unfortunately. In typical fashion last night and today have been torrential. Lashed it down all night and accompanied by hefty gales for part of it. I am booked onto Cebupacific airlines flight 5J931 to Bangkok leaving from the International Terminal 3 at 9:15pm. Planned to head off at 4pm from home to give plenty of time allowing for any delays due to bad weather. This gave most of the day for sorting stuff out around the house and spending some time with Shiera. One distraction though....you might have read from past journals about my occasional troubles with my ATM card getting blocked. Well guess what, it happened again. Couldn't get money yesterday. Tried again this morning and still nothing. Contacted the bank in the UK to find security had blocked my card again. The Philippines is classified as such a high fraud risk country, that on a regular basis they freeze or'ice' the card. To get it de-iced is a ritual I have now repeated so many times to be totally fed up with it. Meant a return trip back into town once I had sorted it out, wasting valuable time. The bank refuse to stop it happening again, claiming it is for my own benefit. I do agree of course in security, but it always happens to me at the worse time, when I am in a hurry.

Anyway, the rest of the day until departure time dragged as was expected. But sure enough 4pm arrived and the sad parting left a lump in both of us.  A rainy trip on the tricycle to catch the Manila bus, and pouring rain the whole way; just like when we recently went to Jakarta. Arrived at the airport cold and wet with a yucky mist forming in the sky as the rain relentlesly drifted into the darkness of night.

Not too long to wait until check-in opened, but another of life's questions. Why do I manage to get into a queue when the person in front of me has a problem that freezes the queue? In this case, the guy was going to Saigon and didn't have a visa to enter Vietnam. Silly sod. He was a bit embarrassed and was trying to blame everyone else for his own mistake.

Departure tax or 'Airport user's charge' as they call it here is 750 pesos. Time to change some pesos into thai Baht as there is no currency exchange after immigration. (Currently a rate of 1.7 pesos to the baht). And then a relaxing coffee whilst waiting for boarding. I noticed on the receipt for my coffee that I had been served in 21 seconds. Wow...that's quick! I wonder what their target is and what happens if they take too long? And also why it is that important. Anyone who sits for a coffee at an airport usually has plenty of time and seconds don't matter. But it is all part of that hyper-efficient service we all expect.

The flight went well with the only niggle being no included food or drink at all. I had exchanged all of my pesos to Thai Baht and they gave a diabolical exchange rate of 1Baht to 1 Peso on the place, which made even a snack a crazy price, but was hungry, so had so suffer the price.

I have been through Bangkok airport a few times before and it is all very quick and efficient. No hiccups on the way out and straight to the departures metered taxi bay, rather than arrivals where they charge far too much.

Getting into the city passes along the toll highway costing 70 Baht on top of the taxi fare, which is 50 Baht in addition to what is on the meter. Cost me 320 Baht total to get to Sukhumvit road Soi 1 Backpackers. Didn't hang around much and went to bed and crashed out after a very long day.

Zzzz......

Tue 14th Jul - My body was still in getting early mode and was awake at 7am. Got on with the day and had a nice breakfast whilst chatting to some travellers. The main aim today was to get some bits for my camera and look for some thai style clothing. The MBK centre had proven to be the best place to aim and so went west along Sukhumvit road. Part way along is the lovely Erewan Shrine, which I had seen before. It always strikes me as a real conflicting experience. Located at a busy traffic junction with skytrain lines running overhead. Traditionally dressed Thai performers and musicians provide a chorus to worshippers making there offerings to the gold buddha statue, set amidst an ornate shrine. A cloud of incence from the numerous burning sticks can be a little choking, but it is an unmissable experience. Peace birds in painted cages can be bought, as can be food offerings and scented garlands. People watching is the main event here, as well as photographing of course. A normal everyday experience here for the workers taking a break or off to lunch or on their way home.

Onwards est and before entering the MBK centre on the opposite corner is the Bangkok Arts and Culture centre. A massive artistically designed building full of, well, very little. Several art galleries and displays of almost nothing add poignant messages in this edifice of curves and arty formations.

It did serve as a break from the heat as the refridgerated air hits you at the entrance.

Shopping at the MBK can be a bewildering experience for a non-shopper. Floor after floor of too much choice. Finding camera shops is tiring as they are spread all over and I had soon had enough and retired to the 5th Avenue foor court where every nationality is respresented in a superb system. You get a swipe card on the way in. Ask for what you want at each section and ay for it all when you exit. All very easy, with plastic display models of all of the meals available to avoid any language issues.

Back at the Guest house and a freshen up before hitting the town for a little of what central Bangkok is known for....great street food and entertainment to suit. Market stalls offering everything fake that can be faked. Ladyboys on parade for business touch you as you pass and follow on the hunt when you ignore them. Many are so stunning that you really cannot tell them apart from model females. No surprise of course as they have to compete in a boy eat boy world, where those that don't have it stand no chance and can only end up as hairdressers or flowershop workers and the like. Those that have got it, probably get to surprise a few guys who really cannot tell the difference until it is too late. Leave this bit to your imagination! The real girls amongst them play the same game every night of their lives....Hello sir...does sir want a drink...etc etc it all gets tiring and after a while you either pay stupid money in the false belief that they really do find you attractive and want to have your babies, or you wake up and realise they are actresses earning a living and selling themselves as the product. They have the looks, they have the body, you have the money and the dream. Stay safe...keep your money in your pocket and find a real woman not an imaginary one! I do have to say that they are nice eye candy though....down boy!

Free wi-fi where i'm staying, so able to stay in contact with Shiera back in the Philippines. Day one of us being apart and a sensitive situation, but have to adjust although not easy.

I will post another blog soon about Thailand.

Bye for now

 

Comments

1

baby, what is down boy????! ha??!! :"Stay safe...keep your money in your pocket and find a real woman not an imaginary one! I do have to say that they are nice eye candy though....down boy!"

I'm telling you bradshaw lock your snake inside your trouser..And dont let it enter to a dark moist cave there in thailand. Coz shiera here will be very very red..

Anyway..nice jounal though...seems like your enjoying there in thailand..Its a good time for you to go, because right now, back here at home we are having a tropical depression (whole LUZOn) its not yet a typhoon..but will be in a couple of hours..hehe heavy rain last night, its nonstop...really really cold..strong wind and im a bit worried to the plants..(they might get drowned..wish they know how to swim) hehehe No, plants are ok, as i visited them this morning. But the whole house is so cold because the wind is coming from outside. Cant stay inside the house without wearing ma jumper. Today is friday, I have an invitaion to aiias (watching concert) and i still dont know if i can go,there coz the rain is too heavy. Might just stay here at home.

Anyway, i miss you so much baby..i hope everything is ok with you..enjoy your staying there..and i just want you to know that i always think of you...uhmn gonna have soup for lunch today..."job hunting mode" right now, loads of love..dont let your snake escape from your trouser..and shiera is missing you so badly, wishing that she can cuddle you right now...:-( i love you very much baby...XOXOXO

  shiera Jul 17, 2009 3:12 PM

2

Hey Jeff,

I'm new to worldnomads, and have just recently started looking at your photos and journals. I would like some advice if you'd be willing to impart some to me. Generally, I'm not motivated by fear, but am in regards to maintaining a passion for life and all of it's adventures. I'm worried that I may not maintain it for as long as you've seemed to. Any pointers?

Thanks and Godspeed!
dan

  dsbreit Jul 19, 2009 6:47 AM

3

Well, it does get tiring at times, and the passion subsides for a little while. You cannot take it all in and keep going without taking the very necessary breaks. You MUST do that, and choose somewhere when you feel the oomph is waning a little. Digest what you have seen, and re-invigorate for the next phase. I am an avid photographer and it is that which fuels my journey alongside the passion for what I am seeing. It is all too easy to let the camera take over, and to stop seeing the world with your eyes wide open without the lens in front of it.

Enjoy it all, take stock of what you have seen regularly, keep a journal for your present and your future memories. Use the camera to record what you have seen and not control what you are seeing.

Best wishes

Jeff

  jeffbrad Jul 19, 2009 5:16 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.