Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Naga to Mindoro and back to Silang

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 24 March 2009 | Views [3585] | Comments [1]

Wed 18th Mar - Tricycle to Naga Central Bus Terminal this morning to catch the bus to Daet in Camarines Norte province. About 90km and taking around 3 hours for 110 pesos. I prefer the local buses as the gorgeous warm breeze through the windows at this time of year is lovely.

Most of this area has already had its rice harvest, and so the last batches of rice lay drying along the roads. The fields are now looking messy and await attention to prepare for the next crop.

One point I don't think I have mentioned before about Barangays. Each neighbourhood has officers appointed by election and usually the welcome sign to each Barangay has their names painted on. Their role is multipurpose; anything from problem arbitration with communal arguments through to involvement in community projects.

Another common site is the inside of coconut spread out in the sun to dry. It curls up and goes brown and is used to make coconut oil for herbal purposes.

At the town of Sopocot this was a common sight. One thing you learn in the Philippines is that they are great at exploiting the full use of anything they have...animal, agricultural, material, whatever it is they will extract maximum use from it. All part I guess of a poor country's resourcefulness.

A 'Purok' is a term you don't see everywhere; It is a sub-division of a Barangay.

On arrival in Daet had no idea of where to go toher than there was a beach here. The tricycle driver took us to Pagasbas beach, a few kilometers out of town. A flat beach with strong waves suited to surfing, but naff accommodation options and no redeeming features, so returned to Daet to try somewhere else. According to the map Pag-Asa beach to the north west of the town looked possible. This meant getting a bus to Jose Panganiban, so got taken to the bus stop and left within a few minutes. Supposed to be one and a half hours, and maybe have to hire a banca when we get there.

Heading out of town we passed an Ostrich farm. Another uncommon sight here.

A funny sight on the way there was a steady stream of banners for 'Viva La Virgin'. Could imagine a search to find the remaining virgins in the town, and let's have a party!

The hassle when we arrived...the first tricycle driver wanted 100 pesos to take us to the beach, and proceeded to follow us after we refused and shout out to the other drivers what he wanted to charge. Got fed up with him amd told him to go away. Eventually finding a driver who would take us there for 60 pesos and realised part way why the others wanted 100...the route is horrendous and so bumpy it was painful. After reaching Pag-Asa it was a disaster. The worst beach we had seen in a while and only one naff scruffy hut they wanted to charge 1,500 pesos for. There was no eating available at all, and we were in the middle of nowhere. The most sensible thing was to get back to town and abandon the idea of staying on the beach tonight. After checking the available hotels, none were any good and so had to pick the least worse out of the bunch, the Victor hotel for 500 pesos a night...best advice...don't come here!

Set out to find somewhere to eat. Not the gastronimic centre of the Philippines! Anyway, managed to get fed after some searching. Wandered through the market to see what local delicacies were on offer. Shocked to find them selling baby Whale-Sharks (Butanding). These are supposed to be protected, but here they don't seem to care. They can be excused for catching them in their nets along with other fish, but not excused for not throwing them back! To be fair to this town, it is a normal small port which exists only for the locals and doesn't set out to attract tourism, so excuse any criticism.

Thu Mar 19th - Heading north to Lucena this morning. One bus from here run by Philtranco that goes all the way to Cubao in Manila, leaving at 7:30am. Cost 241 pesos to Lucena. Have no idea how come they have a bus doing this route as it seems so far out of the way with no attractions, but they msut have their reasons. Have no idea what is in Lucena, but it is a convenient point on the way back north to get off. It is all part of the adventure.

So while i'm sat on the bus, some observations.....

Within half an hour of setting off I saw five people walking along carrying a large rolled up mattress and a large statue of Jesus. Is that what this 'Viva la Virgin' thing is about? Either that or they have an odd business selling this combination to passing tourists.

Over my time here I have seen some of the most stunning women on the planet, that would rival any of the world's top models. One sultry look can put you in meltdown in seconds. They are everywhere and carry themselves in a confident laidback and gracious manner. Women are highly respected by the men as is only right. From an early age they are groomed to have children and look after them. You see impossibly young girls carrying babies that look to be their own. Everyone seems born to work, and noone seems afraid to work. Heavy labour saving machinery is regularly replaced by brute force and determination and mass work force, being that labour is cheaper than machinery. Children will be seen cleaning the school grounds and helping out wherever they can. This is a stark contrast to the westernised countries, where no child is expected to lift a finger other than to operate a keyboard, a tv remote control or a games consol. Sorry, being cynical here!

Safety is another one of those things that is questionable, not just here, but across many parts of Asia. You want to ride on top of the tricycle..no problem. You want to go on the roof of the bus...no problem. You want to ride six on a motorbike at breakneck speeds with no helmets and only flip-flops on your feet, and balancing a pig on the back...no problem! As long as you reach the other end in one piece, just go for it. In contrast, we sanitise, protect and remove the risk and uncertainty as governed by so many regulations to stifle the individual to the point of not being able to breathe. On roads where so many risks seem to prevail, why isn't there a single speed camera? Who needs a Gatso (speed camera) database in their navigation computer here? What is the speed limit anyway...I have no idea, as nobody pays any attention to such a trivial matter. Do your brakes work, and have you killed anyone today...nope...that's ok then...just get where you are going as fast as you can! I absolutely detest that aspect of the uk and Europe, for its seed cameras. Everyone is scared of receiving those nasty little letters through the post that you have been fined for going a few miles over the speed limit on a clear day with absolutely no risk to anyone. A real pain in the arse, and one that I am glad to be rid of. I remember almost having an accident once when I saw a camera flash go off and was so distracted by it I took my eyes off the road in front of me. Don't think I have seen traffic police in all the time I have been here, and have seen less accidents than I did in the uk, for all of its measures to protect. It just works! Sorry, we did see traffic police...in Tacloban in Leyte, where they are called 'Traffic Enforcer' and wear red T-Shirts. But they are not to enforce speed, only to curb a traffic overload situation at busy periods of the day.

What else....oh yes, anything can go on the roads that serves a purpose. You see all sorts of contraptions manufactured from spare parts and wheels. Doesn't matter what state it is in. In the west, nothing can go on the road unless it is MOT'd (Motor Ordinance Testing) and licenced to protect everyone. You get caught with anything else and you stand a chance of getting fined by some snotty nosed cop with no sense of humour. Here the cops are more than likely going to help you get it going if it breaks down! Most imaginative transport has been assembled by some impoverished farmer as part of his determination to eke out a living, so why not support that ingenuity, rather than penalize it.

Buses...when did you last see someone getting an entire set of furniture on a bus, or a load of chickens, or their bags of rice crop to go to market. Everyday occurrence here. The drivers and conductors aren't phased by anything, they look on it as a challenge of where they are going to put it, and the passengers just sit patiently whilst it gets loaded. If it means you then have to sit on to of a load of stuff with no room to move, no problem, all in a day's travel.

In a creative market, where opportunities are to be found everywhere, when a bus stops it is time for the local vendors to jump on with whatever they have to sell. Great fun and an eye opening experience of so many unrecognizable foods, you realize how little you know about what can be made from such basic ingredients. In a society where rice is the staple food from birth, you can manufacture hundreds of foods from it. Add coconut to the list and the permutations seem endless.

Arrived in Lucena shortly after 1pm. A fairly unexciting journey and same same scenery. Lucena proved to be another one of those cities with nothing to keep you there for long, so hopped on a Jeepney to the bus station and then straight on a bus to Batangas (112 pesos) taking around 90 minutes. Could have picked any random direction from here, but made a rash decision to go to Mindoro. Had been here just before new year and stayed on 'White beach' then. Didn't like it much and will go to Sabang area this time.

As expected, the bus didn't go direct to the port. The tricycle drivers wanted 120 pesos to take us there and so I refused. Got there by two Jeepneys instead for 14 pesos each. The last Bangca direct to Sabang had already left at 4:30 and so we had no choice but to go to Puerto Galera instead. The hawkers grab you on your way in to the entrance and try to tell you there is no option but to use them. 200 pesos for the ticket, followed of course by the usual...terminal fee (20 pesos) plus insurance fee (50 pesos). Chose the Golden Hawk company. Treated to a pretty sunset on the way over, which was smooth and arrived in the dark. Mobbed by the tricycle drivers as expected. Cost 100 pesos to get over to Sabang beach. Had read and heard about it being a lively place, and it certainly lives up to its reputation. Didn't take long to find somewhere, and chose the 'Summer Breeze' at 600 including a kitchen and hot/cold shower plus cable tv. Plenty of choice on the water front.

Out to eat and soon realised why many places have a kitchen...this place is expensive. Many things more than double the price of elsewhere. Crazy, and planned to cook the rest of our time here. Another thing it is renowned for is go-go bars and discos. It definitely lives up to that too! Girls on the prowl everywhere. The discos are just a front for the pick-up girls, and are full of guys and scantily clad girls dancing on the stage/bar. Very distracting..hard to know where to look! Of course it does bring the standard topic into discussion...foreign guys, mainly of retired age (and many seriously overweight) everywhere, with a Filipino girl on their arm and many girls looking for a guy that doesn't. Even if you are with someone, the other girls still eye you up and then scrutinize the girl you are with. Makes me wonder if they are thinking how to displace her so they can take over? It's all about money of course, and how much they can get out of you. The more money you flash around, the more girls will come flocking to your side and find everything you say the funniest thing they have ever heard. If you sit and listen to their conversations with other girls, you hear them comparing notes about who they have seen, who they are with and what their own plans are.

Shiera and I have regular discussions about this, as it is interesting to look at this from all points of view.      As far as many would be concerned, we could be the same as any other. Only we know our own situation.

Fri Mar 20th - A day doing nothing much other than explore thr area. Sabang is wall-to-wall dive shops and restaurants/accommodation. Many Korean or German owned places. And property prices through the roof as remaining space is minimal.

Wherever you go vendors hassle you to the point of annoyance. Boat hire, jewellery, island hopping, food, fish, clothing...just about everything comes to you rather than you having to go looking for it. Many beggars who blatantly approach you with their hand open...adult and children alike...give me money...sir is rich...give me money! Sitting on the veranday of our apartment was a pain in the arse during the day, as a steady stream of vendors pester you to the point you tell them to sod off and leave you alone....and they still stand there and try another approach with something else.

Sat 21st Mar - Do you know...until I was writing my journal, I had no idea it was Saturday today. One day is much like another, and no idea of time anymore. Haven't been wearing a watch and only need to know...is it light or dark and eat when hungry, get up when slept enough.

Further exploration today. At the end of the beach is Tina's Restaurant, from where you can climb steps, hundreds of them, to get to the top of the hill. A nice vantage point to see the town from there, and then follow the winding paths and road back to town, the real Sabang, where the locals live. Much like any other small town where they stare at you like aliens as you walk by.

Chicken curry tonight, so gathered the ingredients. You have to shop around as they aren't as pleasant as other places about haggling the price...take it or leave it!

Got dressed up to go out for the evening and would have liked to dance. But that isn’t possible here. There are three discos in a small area by the beach, but the word ‘Disco’ isn’t what it would mean in other places. Here, the word Disco means go-go bar. The only dancing is the girls performing on stage for the guys. So, resisting as much as I could and suggesting that it wasn’t the right environment for Shiera to go into, we ventured in to one of them. These are confronting places, especially for a girl, as the other girls in the bar immediately lock eyes on you, and start talking amongst themselves as they don’t recognize as one of the crowd. I came to the opinion a long time ago that these places are a way of emptying your wallet in a short a timescale as possible, and the novelty soon wears off. If you scan around at the place, you don’t see that many smiling happy faces. Most look bored or disappointed. The girls make hardly any effort to even dance properly. Most have gorgeous bodies and good looks to go with it, but dance like a lump of lard, with about as much sex appeal as a daytrip down a coalmine!

So, with a head full of attitudes and mixed emotions, we finished off the evening back at the apartment over a glass of wine chatting about the experience.

Sun 22nd Mar – Today is mother’s day in the UK. Something else I didn’t know until recently as my brain has become disconnected from the rest of the world and dates and stuff. I have an organizer, but don’t look at it that often, so the reminders slip by….whooops!!

It is getting time to go back to Silang now, and that is another thing that is causing a problem. It is alright setting off for an indeterminate period to go exploring, but when it comes to going home, the reality comes flooding back with a bang. We never set a timescale for this trip and so had no fixed date for its end. The problem is that I get tired by the travel nowadays. Having done it for so long, even though enjoying it still, it does take it out of me. Every day is another case of where to go, what to do, how to get there, how much money does it cost, planning, planning, planning, etc I would have liked to dive here in Sabang, but haven’t got the energy or inclination, even though it is a prime place to dive. Had set off from Silang on Sunday 15th February, so have been traveling for 5 weeks. That time has flown by fast.

Mon 23rd Mar - Today is time to head for home. It has been a longer time than I expected to be away, and it has taken its toll on both of us. I know that travelling for too long is a tiring experience if you aren't up to it. Shiera isn't a traveller and has found it draining, much the same as myself. Getting places and not wanting to do anything, despite there being much to do, is a waste of money and time. So, I made the decision to go back today. This has many repercussions, as life back in Silang is empty too, with nothing to occupy my mind after the initial few days of catching up. For Shiera, the reality of getting back to work is a daunting prospect too.

Took the 10:20 sailing aboard the Lady Rhealaine. Throughout the day there are boats leaving, direct to Batangas, with the last about 4pm. 250 pesos including the 10 peso terminal fee.

From Batangas there are a few options for going north. I fancied a quick look at Taal city, as it is supposed to be a historic place. The information for getting there sounds easy, the reality less so.

You have to get to the Jeepney area of the port, which means going into the exit and out of the entrance! Jeepneys are shouting for business and, as we found out, promise anything to get you on board. Most go to Lemerek after Taal, but that depends on the number of passengers and where they want to go. Our driver promised Taal and didn't tell us until part way there that he wasn't going there anymore. Instead we had to get off and transfer to another Jeepney. Anyway, got there eventually. A good decision to go, as it is a pleasant place. The main attraction is the Basilica church, which sits on a mound in the Taal Park. Cannot go in, so only an external look. In front of the municipal hall is one of those statues to Jose Rizal, the national hero. I have seen a few on my travels where they have painted on a small black moustache, Charlie Chaplin style. Good sense of humour!

Had lunch in the Taal Volcano Restaurant, where a group of students were playing guitar and singing. They were happy for us to leave your luggage there whilst we explored the town. Got some directions to other local landmarks, but most weren't worth the effort or were closed. This town is different than others in that it has some old building that are in good condition and worth a couple of hours or so looking around.

Asked around for details of a bus to Tagaytay, and told there was only vans, so got dropped at the van terminal. 160 pesos and about an hour for the 40km trip. Pleasant area and a surprising number of wealthy looking resorts along the way. Another bus from there back to Silang, and the usual weird feeling of walking back into somewhere after a while away.

As the fridge was bare, we went to the Balinsasayaw restaurant around the corner for dinner. We had been to their counterpart place in Palawan, but prefer this one for its much nicer location and setting.

 

Comments

1

gusto p naming magsupply ng balinsasayaw s nyo...tnx

  rommel borja Jr. Aug 11, 2010 4:10 PM

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.