Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

New year and beyond....

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 4 January 2009 | Views [2577]

Sun 28th Dec – Planning on spending the new year celebrations in Manila, so the main objective was to find somewhere nice to stay, so that Sheira and I can do some sightseeing at the same time. The main area for attractions is the area of Intramuros, which is to the west of the municipality and adjacent to the harbor area. The best place to see in the new year is apparently at the SM Mall of Asia, which is also along the Roxas boulevard near to the Malate area. Chose a hotel for a couple of nights central to both. Was planning to be back in Silang on the 2nd January for a Concert that Sheira’s sister Kaye is involved in. Or so that was the plan. Read on....

 

Mon 29th Dec - Today was one of those bizarre events where you don't know what went wrong. It started pleasant enough and then war seemed to break out around me. It transpired that there was an issue which meant I had to leave whilst it was resolved. There is more to this, but cannot go into it. This was so unplanned that it was a bit of a shock. Amidst much discussion, I made a decision to leave and go somewhere else for new year. Had to think quickly and pack my backpack ready to go, and then dash out to get some money, whilst thinking the new situation through.

Decided to go to Mindoro, which required aiming for Batangas city pier by bus first. Local bus to Robinsons up north first, squashed in amongst the locals and a tonne of baggage.

Only FX vans going south from where I was (150 pesos), and they wait until full. Fortunately, that didn't take long and so headed off, complete with some local snacks and Bako pie for the journey. Got to Batangas at 4:50pm and the next boat was at 5pm, so almost ran through the ticket process and straight on to the waiting Bangcas. The crossing was cold as darkness was falling and a cold wind blew through the boat.

Arrived in the dark to the normal melee of tricycle drivers bartering for business. I hadn't decided exactly where I was aiming for as these decisions are best made spontaneously...it has been that sort of day! So...white beach it was to be, for 100 pesos. A rather bumpy tricycle ride over a hill and having no idea where I would finish up. The ride finished down a track at a busy place right on the beach. Wasn't too bothered for the first night and just wanted a room with a warm shower, so picked the White Beach Resort & Restaurant  for 800 pesos. More than I would have liked to pay, but got free wi-fi in with that. Today has been a disaster, and been communicating with Sheira throughout the journey. Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen, but life is unpredictable. Worse thing is that this place is full of families and couples, come here to celebrate their new year. Surprisingly, many foreigners with their Filipino partners!

After dinner I went for a stroll along the beach to see what this place has in store. Not that big but the beach is wall-to-wall restaurants and bars. As it is holiday season it was noisy, with one of the main bars doing a transvestite show. Yet another surprise! Seemed to be plenty of ladyboys here, and apparently the neighboring Sabang beach is even more so. The nightlife here doesn't have a finish time. It just goes on until nobody is left, which can be all night.

The videoke downstairs went on until 2am and was a mixture of some great singers and some really terrible ones. One guy was so good, I had to go down to see who it was.

 

Tue 30th Dec - There is building work going on next door, and so got disturbed early by the mechanical noises. As seems normal lately, things seem to be changing rapidly. Was sat having breakfast watching the banana boats whizz to and fro in front of me and the sky then open its taps in a downpour that obliterated the view. The beach emptied in seconds....apart from the kids of course, who just carry on playing. Ever wondered why people go to the beach for a swim, but then run for cover when it rains....either way you get wet? Anyway, had been communicating with Sheira since yesterday about events back north. Enough family issues to write a book about. I did want to be somewhere with a good atmosphere for the celebrations and had hastily made the decision to come south, when I should have gone to Manila. So, tomorrow I head back north to Manila for new year and then talk about the way forward. Well that came about rather quick didn't it....life on the edge!

Seemed to get stuck on the internet for a crazy amount of time this afternoon. Isn't it funny how so many people are on messenging servcies now, and the more you use them, the more they swamp your life. I also notice that some people get very impatient of you don't give an answer in seconds. It has become a world of chat rooms and messenger services.  Life used to be patient when we had to use snailmail, and answers could take weeks. Then along came e-mail which you possibly have to wait for an answer for a while. Then mobile text messenging, which requires a fairly quick answer. If not then the respondent must be dead or doesn't care about you. Then come instant messengers, where you must reply in lightening fast time or you are left behind. Good old talking seems to have become outdated, replaced by fancy graphics and avatars, who speak in strange tones and do little dances. Instead of a meaningful conversation, you have a cyber chat with some little aliens on your behalf. So I bounced up and down and spun around and made like a turtle or a scarecrow and then did all sorts of funny things... Sure it was fun...but where did the time go, and what had I achieved? No idea on both questions...but it was fun nonetheless.

It took me three hours to get from the laptop to the bathroom to take a shower...it had changed from day to night and missed most of the fireworks by the time I got out of the room. Time had vanished!

Walked along the beach to the quiet end, but that still wasn't far enough to escape the lunatic screaming of the transvestite show half way down the beach, accompanied by fireworks still going off. Did I tell you about last night and watching guys holding rocket fireworks in their hands whilst they went off? Yep, they got burnt of course, but more stupidly, did it again and again. So irresponsible and dangerous. The fireworks are in massive mounds in the shops ready for tomorrow night. Many are impatient and cannot wait, so you leap out of your skin regularly as some fire-cracker goes off just as you pass.

Bloody mosquitos....that's all i'm going to say!

A walk along the beach should be a calming experience. But this is lunatic season....rockets zooming off in every direction as they have no control over what they do, and public safety is an unknown concept. Like walking into a war zone.

Aren't webcams a wonderful thing! Talking to a few people on webcam this evening and also able to chat to my kids in the UK, so a rewarding evening.

One thing I didn't mention earlier about messenger services and skype. They are also a bane of the internet. Let me explain...

As a single foreigner guy in the Philippines, I get a lot of attention from ladies wanting a partner. Now, so many are stunners, which is very flattering. However, when one logs onto for example Yahoo messenger, I often get random communications from women who do searches and wanting to chat. Don't know them at all, but sometimes think..ok, let's chat for a bit. It is amazing how many times, within a few minutes they are asking for money. Being a foreigner means you have the word money stamped across your forehead. Today I had a student asking me to buy her a webcam, another wanting the money for a flight, someone else wanting me to finance her business. I am getting to the point of being afraid to talk to anyone here, as the stopwatch is running on how long it takes before they need to be bailed out of their situation. Not normally a sceptic, but rapidly becoming one in respect to relationships and friendships here.

 

Wed 31st Dec - Booked onto the 9:30 Bangcas back to Batangas. There are many Bangcas operators spread along the beach, and all the same price at 250 pesos one way, taking 45 minutes. Waiting for the boat to arrive is good for people watching. The massage girls who dominate the beach are out in force, but knew to leave me alone when they see the baggage. Boarded the 'Golden Falcon V' boat and then had to transfer to another boat, the 'Golden Falcon G'. Boys plague you to throw coins in the water for them to dive for. So many people leaving the island this morning, it almost seems to be emptying out. I guess that many people are returning home for the new year celebrations, so were taking a beach break beforehand.

What the ticket counter doesn't say is that the boat docks at Puerta Galera for about half an hour after leaving white beach. Adds to the journey time, but no hurry. Aftr leaving Puerto Galera and entering the open sea, conditions soon changed to fairly rough. Like a rollercoaster ride, it wasn't long before the poor travellers amongst the passengers were vomiting in every direction. It was so bad that the floor was awash with it. The boat had to stop to wash It down. Off they went again, and more passengers joined the line of bodies hanging over the side and grabbing every bucket to throw up in. I am so lucky to rarely get travel sick, and feel sorry for those that do. A horrible feeling.

Tok much longer than expected to reach Batangas due to the delays. But, once off the buses are right outside the terminal. Straight onto a bus for LRT Benia, the nearest terminal to where I am staying. Cost 166 pesos and hould took around 2 hours.

A fairly uneventful journey. Plenty of snack sellers boarding the bus at every opportunity, so no shortage of food.

On arrival in Manila, the standard rip-off scams then start In trying to get the the hotel I had booked in to. After agreeing with one taxi driver where to go, he ended up a long way from where I knew I had to go, and then insisted on charging me more to take me to the right place. Of course, I had an argument with him and only paid him what had been agreed, he was screaming and shouting when I left him and walked off into the hotel. They do this often apparently, and so ignored him.

The casa Nicarosa is tucked away behind another building and fairly pleasant inside. Ended up with a room upgrade free of charge. Met up with Sheira as I arrived at the hotel. Lots to catch up on considering the events of recent days, before I went to Mindoro.

In the evening we stopped at the Malate church, one of the oldest in Manila and then walked down the Roxas Boulevard, which follows the waterfront, which is lit up at night with coloured lights. Tonight being new year's eve meant that we had to choose a venue for the celebrations. The SM Mall of Asia was being televised and seemed the place to be, and theoretically, not that far from where we were staying. The walk there was very interesting, as it highlights the contrast in this city. Vagrants strewn along the pavements asleep on cardboard sheets and tucked under trees, along side or close to expensive hotels. The police turn a blind eye to it although it is illegal in this area. For them, no new year celebrations, just another night on the street!

The Mall of Asia was heaving as expected and arrived with an hour or so to go before midnight. The Tanduay Rum  company were sponsoring the event and selling a litre jug of rum mix for 50 pesos...crazy price! So, with the party well under way, the band started to play and the hype built up. The crowd was amazing. I had come along lightly packed so that I didn't have much to worry about....little did I know that, although I was being careful, the pickpockets are very professional here... Got my wallet stolen which contained money and one credit card! I could have screamed it was so frustrating. The police couldn't help much as there were also others in there, making reports, so guessed it was rife this evening. I hate it when people take advantage of other peoples merriment for their own gains and theft. They are the lowest scum on this earth. With only 10 minutes to go until midnight, I had to try and calm down and enjoy the moment for Sheira's sake, but was gutted. At midnight, the fireworks were amazing, and lasted for ages, over the bay of Manila. It was an awesome atmosphere, and despite the trouble I was now in, a great venue to have chosen.

Had to rush away after the fireworks had finished to try and get on-line to report my credit card to the uk. Unfortunately, the internet was locked out at the hotel due to the busy network and had no luck with the telephones either, so could not get through to the UK to make a report and cancel the card.

 

Thu 1st Jan - After the trauma of last night, I had to try and get through to the uk, but didn't manage it until mid morning. Eventually got through and got the card cancellled and reordered a replacement which will be sent to my uk postal address and have to be couriered across to an address here. A total pain. Fortuantely, I have another source of cash so not totally stuffed.

Nothing much else I can do now, so got on with some sightseeing of the city. The main place of interest was in the northern part of the city in Intramuros and Rizal Park. Rizal is massive, and has many side attractions like an Orchidaria, which was closed but we were allowed in on as a favour, so got it to ourselves. Next was the Rizal theatre which contains a large collection of bronze larger than life figures retelling the life of Rizal, a national hero.

Picked up a tricycle to Intramuros and stopped at the Cathedral of Manila. A lovely old building with some nice stained glass work and high vaulted ceilings.

Final stop of the day was 'Fort Santiago', to the west of Intramuros. A place that is larger than I imagined and set along side the Pasig river. A central lawned area and original Spanish era buildings surrounding. I was surprised that much of it hadn't been restored, and left to become badly overgrown. Across the Pasig river is an old part of the city that looks like the industrial centre. Not very attractive, but full of action.

In the evening, went to explore Malate, which is adjoined by Ermita, both being the lively part of the city. Sheira has detailed experience with Korean culture, having worked in a Korean company and also teaching Korean people to speak English. So, what better than to eat Korean this evening. Not done this before and quite a learning experience. Whatever meats we ordered where cooked for us by the chef at the table and served with a set accompaniment of vegetables and dried fish. Over ordered the quantities, but enjoyed every bit of it. Spicy as expected, which I like.

 

Fri 2nd Jan - Sheira has to return home to Silang today and after much deliberation and discussion I decided to stay in Manila for a few more days. Relocated to the 'Friendly Guest House' located on Adriatico street, close-by in Malate. Only 375 pesos for a dorm room with free wi-fi, hot drinks and a kitchen. Perfect location for the entertainment district.

That sorted, we went out to do some shopping in the area of Corriedor after a cheap lunch at a 'Mini stop'. These are like the 'Seven Eleven' chain of stores, which also exist throughout Asia. Buy to take out or eat in.

Needed to walk to the LRT station and catch the metro for a few stops costing 15 pesos. First time I had used this, and was surprised that they have separate 'female only' carriages, with separate queue. Apparently had to be done because of unwanted hassles they were getting from the men!

Corriedor was crazy and had to clutch everything close as pickpockets are common here. Aftert the events of new year, I was being extra cautious! Needed to buy a new wallet and got one eventually plus some other bargains. The area in front of the Corriedor church was crammed with worshippers. They worship a blackened figure of christ, the 'Black Nazarene', which originated from when a fire struck and it was the only thing to survive. Folk queue up for ages to touch the figure, which is locate under a tent outside at present, as it is doing a tour from its normal location at Quaipo church, where it will return on January 9th in a long street procession. Also in the square were many interesting events. Blind people giving massage, fortune tellers reading palms, tarot card readers etc etc.

Now, this being a Catholic country...it is surprising to find vendors of 'Abortion Medicine'. Out on the street right in front of the church! So, how does that fit in with the principles of the religion, and the belief in not using birth control?

It was so congested I had had enough and wanted to escape back to some sanity. Thought it would be nice to jump into one of the horse driven carriages. The guy agreed on 100 pesos to take us back to Malate, and set off...after the horse had emptied itself! Got out of the busy area and the guy stopped and demanded $100 to take us the whole way. Stunned of course and Sheira being a filipino couldn't understand either. He got a little nasty and so we just jumped out and walked off, leaving him in a mood. Stupid bugger...Picked up a Jeepney for 7.5 pesos each!

Had to say bye to Sheira as she had to head off home later. Been lovely being with her for the past few days and sad she is going :-(

On-line for a while later and great to be catching up with friends around the world again. That time of day when it is easy to catch people in most timezones.

Malate is the entertainment district of Manila, so off to explore later. Had a nice meal at Tia Marias, where live bands also play every night. The one tonight was fronted by a really funky girl with plenty of energy in her style. Crowded, with a mixture of locals and foreigners, and a good atmosphere. Walking around this area of a night is like being back in Bangkok. Continuous approaches from the sex sellers but this time intermixed with what they call KTV bars. Video Karaoke bars which charge a fixed price for entry (300 pesos average), including usually as much as you can drink, and if you want it, the company of a beautiful Filipino lady for the price of an expensive 'lady drink' paid by the half hour interval. Obviousy, they hope for more than just a drink!

 

Sat 3rd Jan - Couldn't belive it, but was so tired last nigtht after not getting to bed until 2am, that I didn't get out of bed until 11:45. Not done that since I was in Thailand. Missed half the day already. A combo meal at Shakey's and then off for a walk down Roxas Boulevard.

As I keep repeating...walking here is an ordeal. Continuous begging that gets to be quite stressful after a while. The kids run up and try to drag anything out of your hands that you are carrying. If you have a drink they will sometimes try to wrestle it from you. I was followed many times and despite trying to ignore them, it became impossible and almost had to run away.

I was sat staring out to see when a women approached me and started chatting. Was really nice and friendly and we ended up spending a couple of hours walking and talking. She was supposed to meet a friend who changed plans and didn't come, so wanted company, as a women on her own here attracts a lot of attention. Made sure she got onto a jeepney later back to her home in Paranaque. It was getting dark now, so back to the guest house to get organised for the evening. As it turned out, plans changed....

The owner of Friendly's, Benji, was celebrating his birthday and laid on a free wine and food party for everyone. Had a superb time chatting with the other folks and peobably drank a bottle and a half of red. Far too much but felt nice and mellow. Got to 11pm and neede to go out and find some dancing. Had found out yesterday that there should be Salsa on at the Havana bar on Adriatico, so aimed there first. The band was really good with a great range of music. In the intermission I had a wonderful couple of dances with the lead singer. Shortly after the band started up again a group of ladies came in, one of whom was an wesome dancer. Made my evening as we had some superb dances together. Not danced with someone so good since I set off travelling, and that is a long time. The band finished at 1am and the place deserted within minutes. Shame, because it was too short a time. There are another couple of Havana bars in the city which are supposed to have bigger dance floors. This one is timy, with only enough space for two couples at most squashed in front of the bar.

A walk around the bar area afterwards, with constant pestering from the touts selling KTV and women. After a while I got tired of it and returned to the guest house to spend time chatting to friends on line until 4am and then crashed out into bed.

 

Sun 4th Jan - Another late start to the day, not rising until nearly noon. Even though it was 4am when I came to bed, there were people coming in much later, which disturbed my sleep.

Breakfast at Café Adriatico for a treat. A Manila institution which spurned the café society back in 1979, when it was named by writer and painter Aguilar Cruz after the street it is on. The range of food available is excellent, and nice orchestral music was playing to create a relaxing ambiance.

 

That’s about it for now folks. Hope all was well for you over the new year period and 2009 is full of great opportunities….

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.