Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Macau to Hong Kong

HONG KONG | Friday, 15 August 2008 | Views [1406]

 

Tue 12th Aug - Continuing on from my last post....Was planning on going to the old town for dinner but found a nice thai restaurant on the way there. Will be back in Thailand next week, so appropriate. You can eat every nationality of food here, so spoilt for choice. Was also planning to then go for a walk over to the Venician casino again, but had a last minute change of mind and went to the Taipa houses museum to sit for a while. Got talking to a lovely girl from Russia and spent a few hours talking. She is a dancer and model with some great possibilities ahead for a career here possibly. A really nice finish to the evening.

 

Wed 13th Aug - At breakfast was talking to an olympic coach. As mentioned previously, they are using this place as a holding and training centre and then get flown to Beijing to do their races and then flown out. He only had tickets to see his own event and didn't sound too happy about it. I now realise how lucky I was to get a room for a couple of nights and why everywhere else was booked up.

The Best Western, like many big hotels here, provides free shuttle bus service to the Macau Ferry Terminal, a 10 minute ride away across the 'Friendship Bridge', the most eastern of the three bridges. A lot of activity on arrival as there was a sea of buses dropping off and collecting. Into departures, which is at the top of the escalator. I am going to Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon which entails getting the New World First  catamaran ferry. No need or point in booking in advance, although it is possible (don't know why anyone would want to though). Ticket counters are at the top of the escalators and leave every half an hour during most of the day. 140HK$ for Ordinary class. There is a Deluxe class for 245HK$, that gives you a seat on the upper deck. The ticket prices are higher after 6pm and even higher at weekends.

A quick passage through immigration and then only had to wait about five minutes before boarding. You get a seat allocated as you enter the waiting area, all very simple and efficient and departure on time.

Macau has been interesting although brief. The temple I visited yesterday by the inner harbour was the A-ma, and is believed to be were Macau got its name, after A-ma Gau, Or 'bay of A-ma' which is what the Portugese called it when they landed here.

The casinos are obviously its biggest draw for foreigners and chinese alike, and are sprouting up like weeds. But it has an interesting blend of old culture and modernity that makes it an unusual blend that you won't find anywhere else in the world I reckon. English is fairly widespread altough not reliable, but there are many business people here, so easy enough to find someone to help if you get stuck. I could have planned to stay longer and could have fitted in a show or two, mainly located within the casino complexes, but I have arranged to meet up with friends in Hong Kong and Bangkok, so have dates to meet.

Arrived at the Canton road ferry terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui after about 70 minutes. The crossing was ok, with many islands to see and a fairly calm sea. There seem to be many companies operating the route with swish design ferries. The Turbojet hydrofoils that ply the route to Hong Kong look sleek with a smart red livery. The Cotai strip a fancy Blue design.

Quick passage through customs and given the usual 180 days free visa. There was a funny sign adjacent to the immigration gates 'Please take off your facemask to facilitate examination'. They are referring to the pollution masks that many wear in China, but you could imagine someone queing up in a disney character mask for the fun of it couldn't you?

Getting out of the building was more of a challenge as you have to work your way out of a shopping mall...something you come to expect here! From there to where I am staying at Chungking Mansions only took about 15 minutes walk. I have to say that this place lives upto its reputation. Not the most celubrious of places! I first had to check in at Block C Floor 15 and then had to go to floor 6 for my room. The whole set of three blocks is a maze of guesthouses, businesses and many people you wouldn't want to meet at night. On the way there I got bombarded with touts wanting to sell Rolex, phones, massage, women, tailored suits, you name it!

After a bit of a disagreement over the room, which is a bit of a drop in standard from what I have just had in Macao...You want a room with a view, you sould see the view...yuk!

Not wanting to stay in this place any longer than I have to it's straight out to explore. You cannot walk a few metres here without someone trying to sell you something. The most annoying place I think I have ever been! Ignored them all and off to see the Avenue of the stars. Similar to the walk of fame in Hollywood, but here mainly names i've never heard of apart from Jackie Chan. It is also the famous promenade that faces Hong Kong Island and its amazing congestion of skyscrapers. Can't wait to see what it looks like at night...that is what it is most famous for as it overlooks Victoria Harbour. At a sort of mid point along its length, you can look across to the Convention Centre and point where Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese at midnight on 30th June 1997. More on that another time. Many other things to see, such as the regular Star Ferry that links Kowloon across to Hong Kong on four routes. Will undoubtedly be on that at least once.

Later in the evening I met with a friend from Hong Kong and we went to see the sound and light show along the Avenue of the stars. Amazed that she had lived here for seven years and never seen it, as thought it was just for tourists! This is just what Hong Kong is famous for. Most of the buildings along the water front are illuminated to music with a laser show onto the buildings on the Kowloon side. Only lasts for 15 minutes from 8pm every night, but just awesome. There is a viewing deck for a better unobstructed view. A nice cool walk along the promenade after the day's heat and then off for a really good indian meal. Not quite what I expected to be eating on my first night here. Nathan road and surrounds are alive, desparate to sell until late. Some amazing deals, especially if you walk away, but not sure of the quality. Most seems kosher enough.

 

Thu 14th Aug - Didn't have any real plan for today so just waited to see how it unfolded. Didn't bother with breakfast as nothing obvious to eat in the area. Chungking mansions as a lot of indian stalls around, but didn't fancy that. Wandered off towards the Star Ferry pier and picked up a seven-eleven snack, which are all over here. Decided to go over to Hong Kong Island on the Star Ferry. An easy system...choose whether you want to go to Central, Wan Chai etc then go into the right entrance. Pay either by Octopus Card, something which is probably worth me getting....pay a deposit for the card then load it with as much as you need. Discount stations spread around the city that offer shopping or travel discounts. Deposit returned when you take the card back. Alternatively pay-as-you-go. I got a token for a single crossing at 33HKD. Only 22HKD with on Octopus! Around 7 or 8 minutes on the infamous Star Ferry to get to Central on the other side. Set off walking towards Connaught, but wanted to go to the 'Peak Tram'. An amazing tram that climbs impossible angles to reach a superb viewpoint over the bay. One the way there I took a few wrong turns as it isn't obvious where to go. Ended up with a ridiculously steep climb...sweating at an incredible rate here! Was worn out when I finally found the route I should have taken, and and to follow the tram pathway back down hill to get to the boarding station. A few choices when you get there. I was melting by this stage and couldn't wait to get in to some shade. 48 HKD buys access to the Peak Sky Viewing terrace as well as everything else and return. 33HKD just for the tram return journey.

At the top, lots of eating options, such as the superb 'Bubba Gump Shrimp Company' Famous place... Run Forrest run!!

I had a wonderful stroke of luck whilst admiring the awesome scenic view from the top...wow...what a view. Hong Kong is a beauty. I started talking to a lovely girl from Korea who was travelling alone and we ended up spending most of the rest of the day together. An interpreter by career which made for a wonderful learning opportunity. We headed down into town taking a ride on the longest escalator in the world at the 'Mid-levels' for a chinese lunch and then on foot to the Convention Centre, a vast wavy roofed strucure. Remember 30th June 1997 when Hong Kong was handed back to China by the governor Chris Patten? The Gold Bauhinia statue stands outside here where the event took place. Famous and momentous occasion. At the moment a few exhibitions were on....The Food Expo...the Wine Expo...and a chinese herbal medicine exhibition. Didn't bother going in as 200 HKD a time, so had a great afternoon tea instead. Off to do a bit of shopping afterwards in Causeway bay Sogo department store. This city is designed for shoppaholics..everywhere you go, you get sucked into shopping malls. After shop overload picked up a quaint tram (only 2HKD fixed) back to central where I parted with sumin. A great day together. The trams here are all uniquely painted and are double decker and really thin. A blast from the Victorian era and fun to travel on.

Instead of going back on the star ferry, I used the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) instead. 8.5 HKD to get to Sim Sha Tsui. Machines accept coins/notes and issue a card to pass through the entrance barrier. Really easy system to follow.

Was hungry again and found a great place on Nathan road..Murphy's Irish pub! Guinness and steak pie...Apple Crumble...Good beer..and a nice glass of red wine. Needed a home fix...mission accomplished! I have had a magic day again. Rebuilds the soul and rejuvenates the travel legs. Happy and tired, a perfect combination!

Too early to go to bed although shattered so went for a walk along the Avenue of the stars again. Something about the amazing lights of this city that is like a magnet. Time to wander and think about the day's events. Amonst the many interesting things that happen along this walk....getting your hand or feet immortalised in coloured wax, or having a photo against the amazing backdrop. Most people stop to have their picture taken with the bronze statue of Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee. One of the Sampans that cross the Harbour has beautiful burgundy sails. Did expect to see more of those.

Went and bought a nice shirt in one of the indian stalls back at Chungking Mansions. Good quality stuff at rock bottom prices..haggling is the norm. Seems as though everything can be had at base prices here.

 

Fri 15th Aug – Met up with Sumin from Korea this morning and went for a wander. Kowloon park is close by and was worth a look. Not very big but a bit of a haven for many people from the busy noise of the city. A few people doing their Tai Chi exercises and others just contemplating the content of thin air! Nice to get into some shade as it is roasting hot again as usual. Not far from here to the Hong Kong Culture museum. Some of the displays are a bit basic, but it gets the message across. Hong Kong has an interesting history from when it used to be marshland surrounded by mountains, through to the present day where it is surrounded by mountainous skyscrapers. Have been learning a few things from Sumin, One of which is A

an interesting difference about our ways of celebrating many events. We all know that most asian weddings last for days, whilst the eurpoean version is normally over and done in a day. When someone dies, the events can last for amany days and people can get a long period off work to commemorate it. The western view is different. As a contrast, we get longer holiday breaks whereas they may only get a couple of weeks leave in a year.

 

After time at the museum we went our separate ways as I wanted to do some technical shopping and Sumin is heading off to Macau later. Bought a nice compact laptop, which should make the writing a bit easier. Great prices here if you look around. New toy to play with so off to play….

 

 

 

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.