Existing Member?

Our world Travel On 10th May 2007 I fled the UK on a journey around the world with a long list of places to go. Got as far as the Philippines where I met my wife. We got married on 11th May 2010 and are now sharing the experiences of travelling the world together

Osaka....last day in Japan....

JAPAN | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [1145]

Wed 9th Jul - Went for a walk around the city center in the evening. The buildings come alive with lights to make the city even more appealing. The Umeda sky building that I visited a week or so ago looks mysterious at night. The central 'Floating Garden' is illuminated from below like a space ship coming in to dock. Near to the top of the building, a restaurant has a regular jazz band playing that could be heard from some distance. The ferris wheel atop the Hankyu building overtakes everything else as it dazzles bright red with fluctuating lighting. A skyline that fascinates!


Another side of the city that permeates the sense are the massive stores. Went into the Yodabashi camera store. Selling every sort of technology known to man, it is a fascinating trip into this part of the psyche of Japan. The major problem is that virtually all of it is in japanese, so you can't play with it unless you happen to understand it. Gadget mania.....

Back to Fukushima for one of my favourite Okonomiyaki dinners before going back to the hostel for a chat with fellow travellers. Surprised when I met someone travelling on the same boat on friday to China!

Thu 10th Jul - main task this morning was to get some post off to the UK. Main office is right outside of the Sakurabashi gate of Osaka station. Very efficient as expected....uniformed guy by the door asked what I wanted, pointed me to the appropriate counter, and a couple of minutes later I was on my way out of the door.


Had plenty of time on my hands today, so off for some sightseeing. First to the Festival Gate on the JR Loopline, getting off at Shinimamiya station. This is an entertainment complex which is adjacent to the enormous Spa World. A building with six floors of every form of pampering available. Hadn't planned on going there, so concentrated on the other part of the area. A clever rollercoaster winds its way up high between and through the buildings. Unfortunately it only runs on weekends and special holidays, so everywhere is deadly quiet. Actually made it interesting as there were so many folk just hanging out. The streets are interesting too. They have this mascot buddha character called Billekin. Golden figures of him everywhere, as well as near the top of the Tsuten-Kakau tower that dominates the festival gate area. This was more down to earth than the other parts of the city I had visited so far. Old style game parlours with groups of old-timers playing Mahjongh and many other games I have no idea about. Glad I chose to come here.


Next on the list was the Kyocera Osaka Dome, some distance from here but fancied walking there instead of catching the train. Saw many things en-route....a couple of kodo drum manufacturers producing this traditional instrument in many sizes and styles. This is the sort of city where you need a good sense of direction, else it would be so easy to get lost. Not that I would matter as there is always something to see.
The Osaka Dome is where the Osaka Buffalo baseball team plays amonst other uses. A funky waved top with stylish design, it was worth the walk and also totally dead, so great for photos.


Really hot now..must be low 30's, so had enough of the outdoors, so back on the JR Loopline at Taisho and back to the hostel to chill for a while.


Normally I do a summary of each country as I leave it...... Japan is an amazing country full of prosperity, unity, stability, and variety. The japanese are gracious people who are friendly towards travellers. I never had a problem that wasn't quickly solved by a helpful passerby or official. They work hard and most work six days a week and all seven if they can. The school kids are educated in the same way and so are indoctrinated in the work ethic from day 1. Techically, you hear the comment 'come to Japan to the country of the future'. Those comments are possibly right. The buildings are awesome, the technology is up to date and everywhere. But, the people are very grounded with so much respect for their history, culture and their environment. Everybody seems to be bred with this. The streets are spotless and they are heavily into re-cycling. Personal pride is so evident....exuding graciousness. Everyone, especially in the cities is immaculate and they are such attractive people. The geisha girls...wow....beautiful isn't a good enough word! The transport is superb...accurate, spotless, good value and yes...technologically up to the mark. Most buses have video displays and audio announcements for each stop and include english at major stops. The trains are even better with precision being the key thing. In summary....a country you just have to visit at least once in your life. Have I said enough?

Well that`s it folks from Japan. The next entry will be from China....away we go......

 

About jeffbrad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.