Existing Member?

India 101

colaba

INDIA | Saturday, 15 September 2007 | Views [331] | Comments [3]

so, this internet connection is quite slow and i'm going to try to do this without it freezing up on me.  anyhow, the universe has decided to cut me some slack.  I got my bag from the airport finally right after my last posting, and on my way out a French kid (27) named Greg stopped me and asked if i wanted to share a cab.  I told him i was on my way to the train station to try to catch the train to delhi and he said forget about it it's not going to happen.  this is his 4th time in india and he is close friends with a family that lives on the street underneat the hotel we are staying at.  so anyways we're now sharing a room there and hanging out with this family / group of kids on the street mostly.

it's nice because i don't have to do anything except follow them around and slowly i'm picking up how india (or at least bombay) works.  it's pretty hot here and rained a little today off and on.  The festival for Ganesh begins today and goes for 10 days . On the street as we speak there is dancing and drumming and explosions, etc. and after 10 days i guess they throw the statues in the sea. 

anyways bottom line is i'm safe and sound, better than that even.  just soaking it all in you know.  mostly.  learning how to shower indian style and use the toilet indian style and eat indian style.  all actually easier and preferable to western in the context.  i do feel as though i've forgotten how to speak american english though a little. between greg's french accent and everyone else's indian.  i wrote mostly in my paper journal and took a bunch of pictures. well, actually, the kids took most of the pictures, i kind of gave up my camera to them and they had at it.  interesting, though, streetlife in india.  not far from street life in america but also less guns/bling/crack but other than that...

i'll have to tell y'all more when i get back i can't even put it into words right now.  more later tho as my half hour is up.. (the computer is quite slow as i said)

i don't know when i'll be off to dharamsala, probably within the week. greg is probably off to goa but he says that's better for the end of the trip as i won't want to leave.  more next time

peace.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I wondered when you were going to experience street life in India. It is so common for people to live on the street there. What is the standard/style of living compared to the US? How do people there feel about Americans? Southern India is supposed to be very different from the North and I also have heard that Goa is a wonderful place to visit - like a vacation spot. It's 3 AM here and I am awake. Finished my homework for the first week and have a ton of reading to do. It is amazing but I feel like I have even learned something this week. Gabby is having a housewarming party tonight - I didn't get an invite but Aunt Tina did. Got screwed at work again - I am beginning to wonder if I've been blacklisted for any other positions there. They seem to offer the opportunities to ABD - anyone but Debra. This makes me think harder about the DC job. Just trying to keep you posted on life here. I'm enjoying your journal. Love you- Mom

  Mom Sep 15, 2007 8:16 PM

2

Hi Josh, WHAT AN AMAZING JOURNEY and it is just beginning. I am so impressed with your willingnes to join in so easily with those whose home is the street. My Friend Allen who has been to India many times has told me how many live.
Amanda better be prepared to camp out in BRIGHTON :-).
It sounds like it really is suiting you. Meeting Greg has given you that initial feeling of belonging!
Well, keep the journal coming...I look forward to your adventures every morning which is probably almost night at your end> Love ya, Josh xoxoxoHugs hugs Hugs~Donna

  donna Sep 15, 2007 11:47 PM

3

Hi Babe,

Well this is cool i think i am a little jealous you sound like you are having so much fun!! Well good im glad you met some nice people. Well it is saturday morning here and I have decided to drink my first cup of coffee in two weeks and i am not spinning yet which is cool. But i am not going back to drinking coffee never again. Only on occation. Well My job is improving alot more vacancies came out yesterday so i will be vary busy hopefully for the next couple of weeks.

So you think you are going to stay with gregg for a couple of day's I think you should you will have a good time and like you said get to learn indian culture.

Well Love you and miss you everyone here says hi. Jake text me and called yesterday to see how i was doing. He says hi and he was glas to hear that you made it there ok. Well Thiara and Miguel and all the cats and gretta say... hello..,woof woof and meow. Thiara says let us know the first time you have to wipe you bum with your hand. Well have a great day!!!love ya

  Amanda Sep 16, 2007 12:20 AM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.