Existing Member?

India 101

sigh of relief

INDIA | Friday, 14 September 2007 | Views [486] | Comments [3]

So, it's 10.30 am here on Friday 14 September and my two nights of limbo are finally over.  I stayed in the most elegant and luxurious accomodations i'll probably see for the next three months at the expense of 1/4th of my travel budget; but hopefully it's all worth it as my luggage has arrived and i can finally go collect it.  Then onwards to the part of Mumbai i came to see - the real touristy parts, of which hopefully there will be pictures once i find an internet cafe which uploads those.  ironically the fancy hyatt hotel is not so well equipped.  it was worth the money just to not get eaten alive by mosquitos.  I have three bites on my right forearm from the first night and hopefully they're not full of malaria.. even so i'm taking my anti-malarial medications (which makes my pits stank something fierce).  I also took the opportunity to equip myself with plenty of fresh water to drink. some fruit. and i "borrowed" a pillowcase, which i forgot to bring with me.  oh and some toilet paper.  never have too much of that i'm sure.

So it feels absolutely 300% better to not be in limbo anymore. to know that my trip continues onward.  I mostly hope to meet some compatriot travellers as that will make it much easier to be able to trust someone and watch each others back, etc.  hopefully on the train to Delhi, which, if I'm lucky, i'll be able to catch 7.10pm tonight.  otherwise at least i'll be staying in a better neighborhood than the first night, and for much cheaper than the second. 

Another relatively sleepless night last night, but the train is 25 hours so plenty of time to catch up on that.  Forced myself to eat breakfast this morning.  Some Indian choices amongst the bacon and sausage, eggs, etc geared toward foreigners.  Oh and some more good news (i suppose) is i haven't smoked a cigarette since JFK despite having a packful of them, smoking permitted in the hotel, and all the stress.  Hope i keep that up. You'll be interested to know that National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet, CNN all make it out here.  Also MTV india which is horrible.  just like MTV america.  Indian newspaper is interesting as well.  very similar to american newspaper.  not very fond of bush though.. big diff there. 

Ah i can't tell you how good it feels to know one way or the other (glad it was this way tho).  Ok nuff rambling.  next you hear from me hopefully i am in just as good spirits having sloughed the safety of the western-style hyatt for the true indian culture.  Will feel great to get out of Mumbai and even better to get out of Delhi once i do that i'm sure.  But I'm focused on Dharamsala and can't wait to get there. 

Much love all around.

Til next time.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Babe,

Well I am so glad that you feel better. You have already left or the train i am sure so i hope you enjoy you ride. Well it is good to hear that you have not smoked I am so proud of you don't you feel healthier. Well I told you there would be Mosquito's PUT ON BUG REPELLENT!!! you now my worry about those dame mosquito's. Well I hope no one has to smell you try not to get that close to anyone. Well have a wonderful time in Dharamsala. Lee Lu I have realized does not listen to me at all, she continues to chase Annabell around the house. We had a bit of a war today when i was trying to do my pilaties. Well I love you have a great time and tell the Dali Lamma (I don't know how to spell his name) i said Hi.

  Amanda Sep 15, 2007 12:56 AM

2

Hi Josh, YOU SOUND 1000% BETTER!!! DELIGHTED that you have recovered your luggage! THANK GOD!! Dharmasala here you come!!!!!!!
Have FAITH, challenges are always a part of our JOURNEY!! HANG IN THERE.
I hope you can get some REST!! I hope you make some Friends that will support you on your WAY!
Love reading about your journey, Josh ! Keep them coming. Love ya, Josh~ Loads of HUGS~ Donna

  Donna Sep 15, 2007 2:04 AM

3

Glad to hear that you and your luggage have been reunited. Now you are on your way to Delhi. I am thinking of you all the time, wondering how you are enjoying your Great Adventure. I have started school and it is very time consuming. I find it hard to get started on the computer, but once I log on, I am on for hours!! I need to get my resume in order for an executive search firm that NCCS has hired to find its next CEO. Keep the journal coming. I will be interested to hear your impressions of life in another part of the world, especially your impressions of the people. I am ecstatic that you have not smoked!!! Love you. Mom

  Mom Sep 15, 2007 5:40 PM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.