Existing Member?

India 101

sunday

INDIA | Sunday, 16 September 2007 | Views [519] | Comments [5]

so i think it will be a lazy day today in colaba.  i wasn't feeling all that great this morning on account of eating three large meals yesterday (something i rarely do in the states).  we also go through litres of water like nothing.  more water than i usually drink in a week in one day or less.  (amanda tell thiara i wipe my bum with my hand.  they have english style toilets but no toilet paper unless you buy your own which i have, but if you don't need to use it you just use the indian style toilet and shower all at once.  showers btw are from a bucket which also is not bad; i got used to it easily)

so yesterday greg and i took out the whole family of lolita (the one he is friends with) for 300 rupees - less than ten dollars for father mother two sons one wife one daughter and four little boys.  amazing. almost every time we eat we bring with us the family b/c they are not allowed in under normal circumstances (low caste).  on account of the caste thing they all convert to catholicism.

on the street everyone tries to sell you everything, everywhere you go it's "excuse me sir" and they persist up to a point.  i keep walking though mostly.

so i bought a book today - 1984 by orwell (couldn't find brave new world this time.. maybe next time) anticipating a lazy day and just in case i'm sick.  took the cipro prophylactically. hopefully it helps. 

greg has a meeting hopefully this week he says he is getting bored ofbombay.. nothing to do except sit around all day unless ou want to do cheesy tourist stuff.  saw some of that but ou see it and that's it you know.. snap a photo to show everyone back home and then back.  anyways he's going to his meeting then he's going to take sonyi to goa with him and i go off to dharamsala.  that way we leave at the same time from the same station and it's easier.  i checked yesterday to make sure my atm card works in india and it does. yay! no atms in dharamsala so i need to bring rupees as i don't intend to go all the way back to delhi just for atm and i plan to stay up there for a while. hopefully i can book a ticket to pathankot (a transfer station in the north of delhi on the way to dharamsala) at the same time i book my ticket to delhi so i don't have to wait in delhi for days.  paperwork in india greg says takes forever . lonely planet calls this IST indian stretch time - which i experienced with the airport fiasco.  then from pathankot there's the kanga narrow gauge train which i might take just for the scenery.  much longer than the bus but the trains greg says are more comfortable here than in europe so i assume that extends to america too as amtrak not so much.. so yeah i get to take pictures nad watch the scenery on the way up to kangra, then one hour bus to dharamsala and quick taxi to mcleod ganj where i can stay comfortably for less than $20 per day according to lonely planet.

greg's staying in goa he says til january so hopefully i can meet up with him there on my way back/ we shall see. getting ahead of myself.

there's quite a few tourists here in colaba. from all over. some staying for a long time. others just passing through.  apparently tourist season doesnteven start for another month.

dont know if i mentioned earlier but greg + i are sharing not only a room but also a bed. no comments pls. the bed is probably the most uncomfortable thing i've ever slept on though. worse than the floor. and i slept on the floor for a long time at summit apt 3. but bombay is expensive and we're on the shoestring budget .. esp after hyatt ;op.

anyways i'm gonna check my email now but good to hear from my family :) love y'all.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

He Sir Josh...the ADVENTURE is sounding GOOD! What a paradigm shift. It feels like you are having multiple oens but going through them with great ease! It sounds like Greg is like your soul brother! I am so glad that you found each other. I am sure that you are going to meet many others on this journey.
Hope your tummy feels good! I am so HAPPY that their is sufficient water? Is it expensive??? The supper for
ten dollars sounded amazing!
It looks like you and Amand will be saving on toilet paper when you return :-)
So will you be leaving for Dharamasala soon??
Take care of yourself...Love ya and miss yaxoxoxoDonna

  donna Sep 16, 2007 10:22 PM

2

Hi Babe,

Well you saying the bed is uncomfortable mans alot. WOW i would not sleep at all. Glad you are still having fun i just woke up but just wanted to day Hi i have to go get quarters for laundry, I will write more later. Oh actually Me and THiara when over to jen and nick's new apartment. They are back in MA. It is so good i feel like they never left. THey all say hi and good luck with your trip. ok love you.

  Amanda Sep 17, 2007 12:15 AM

3

Bro,

Mom just send me the link to your blog, so I'm finally all caught up! I was so sad to have missed your call from JFK, but I saved it for posterity. I'm glad that you reconnected with your luggage. Would have been quite interesting to travel without. So thrilled that you met up with someone whom you can share expenses with and are comfortable enough to share a bed with :). More importantly, travel buddies are important when you're in a different place. Anyway, I've been thinking about you a lot and can't wait for your next adventure! Alexis and I threw a housewarming party last night for people in our program and in the area...was lots of fun! Anyway, I need to hit the books! I love you lots and keep posting!

  Gabby Sep 17, 2007 5:30 AM

4

Hi Babe well if you look at your g-mail account I sent you some pictures from back home. Nothing very exciting but me and thiara and rachel all went into city today. Ok well love you!!

  Amanda Sep 17, 2007 8:32 AM

5

Hey Josh - it's Sunday night and I had to call in sick again today. If I didn't sound so bad, I could take drugs - I mean meds - and go to work. Dont want to use up my PTO before Italy. Think I'll go in tomorrow if I can get my homework done tonight. 49er's won today and are undefeated. Patriots are being called cheaters for videotaping Jets' sideline signals. Big scandal. Intro to game had old film clip of Bill Walsh running on/off field. Made me sad, but I'm glad he missed the Patriot's scandal. Found a swim coach at the pool yesterday. Helen is a chiropractor who swims laps continuously for like 20 minutes. She told me if I get my breathing right, I can do the same. After one coaching I was able to improve from 2 laps to 4. Had a total of 6+ laps! Pool is heated so I will try to keep up even after summer is over. There is also a jacuzzi but I haven't used it yet. Also met an acupunturist/nutritionist and she is going help me with my neuropathy. Claudia works with Helen and Helen also taught her to swim last year. My computer is on fritz - can't send email. I changed to Outlook becuz I was sick of all the ads while trying to read email on yahoo. Must have screwed it up. Miss you expertise. Miss you for lots of other reasons too. I think about you daily and am so glad you are keeping up the blog. Your "misadventures" are really adventures. One of my teachers once said -There are no coincidences, only divine manipulation.- That was EKR. Love you-Mom

  Mom Sep 17, 2007 3:07 PM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.