Existing Member?

India 101

Vashisht to Old Manali

INDIA | Wednesday, 10 October 2007 | Views [411] | Comments [1]

So we've checked out of the hotel here in Vashisht (myself, Stu and Kirstie - the couple from Birmingham UK) and today they're off to Amritsar via Pathankot and I'm going to stay a few nights across the river in Old Manali.  I've a lot of photos to sort through and delete so next time i'm on the internet i'll take care of that.  Anyhow we've spent a very relaxing few days here, where it's quiet and peaceful, and tourist season is nearly over.  I spent one day walking down to Manali proper (about half an hour) and all around, seeing where the locals lived - there was a "nice" section where every house was on concrete, with a tarp for a roof and they were huddled around their little 13" TVs.. to the i dont know what to call it section where they lay their blankets on the dirt and have a propane stove and a couple of metal pots and pans and that's it.. Talked to a shoeshine boy named Sunny and his brother Sanje.. ended up going back to their house (which turned out to be in the other section w/o tv's) and meeting the family - it seemed like every time i turned to face the entrance another family member was standing there - mother in law, brother in law, uncle, cousin.. Sunny spoke English well, albeit a bit hurriedly.. but apparently he was the well-studied one of the family.  still dont know how that came about, except that he refrains from drinking and smoking which his brothers/brothersinlaw seemed to have a bit more trouble with..

Yesterday we went to the waterfall around here which was a bit of a hike - and i have a bunch of pictures of this pulley system by which they send bundles of wood from the top of the mountain to the bottom via a couple relay outposts where guys just take the wood from one platform when it arrives, slide it to the other one and re-bundle it and send it on its way.. i'll have to find a good picture to illustrate that when i go through them..

The population here is small.. it's village life plus tourist attractions, with many people returning home come winter.. winter's fast approaching this year, though, and it gets quite cold at night.. so not many tourists are here now.. i guess the bigger season is summer up til monsoon.. so anyhow my half hour's up i'll have to finish later as it's time for brunch..

Cheers!

Tags: People

Comments

1

Josh, GOOD to read your update!
Amanda sent me the link for your pictures and they were just beautiful!!!! You have a talent for capturing the scene!! I loved seeing the Himalyayans up close and personal. That is where the salt lamps are from. I was very excited to think that we have a piece of what you are looking at:-) You didn't say much about the Dali Lama's talks....???? I hope you kept notes, I would be very much interested.
The weather in the Northeast has finally become FALL!! It has been so hot here but I do believe it is passing. Today is raining for the first time in weeks..It is quite delightful!! Take care, dear Josh...ENJOY En JOY xoxoxMiss ya and love ya~Donna

  donna Oct 10, 2007 11:03 PM

About jdemers26


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.