Existing Member?

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much Welcome to my e-version of Dr. King's inescapable network of mutuality...

It's Rainy Season

COSTA RICA | Monday, 18 May 2009 | Views [1225]

17Mayo2009

Bueno, Costa Rica is a beautiful place, with quite lovely people, and things are going well.  My Spanish is coming along, dance class is going well (apparently we have a recital coming up – yikes!), and the book is moving along fine.  A friend and I were on a trip 2weeks ago and on the first day of our trip, the tour guide said, ‘today starts rainy season.’  I leaned over to my friend and remarked, ‘well, ive been here over 2 weeks already and it hasn’t rained yet; so we’ll see…’  So much for threatening the universe with my jokes.  Indeed, costarricenses know their climate – it has rained here EVERY day since the beginning of rainy season; like clockwork btwn 1p and 3p.  I've always appreciated rainy days (here and there); the world is still, its good naptime, there’s a nice fresh smell afterwards...  Yet, having rain everyday is offering me the opportunity to make peace with rain in a different way….

So now that (during rainy season) i’m not taking as many afternoon walks, i’m looking for other things to get me away from my book and computer and out of the house here and there.  Well yesterday I stumbled into the fact that I can go to a movie for…… get this….. the equivalent of about US$3.25!!!  I saw Angels and Demons in the theater last night, and thought I misheard the lady when she said the price (in colones).  No wonder she looked at me weird when I whipped out the VISA card.  Sure, at times the audio in the film sounded like a laptop turned ALL THE WAY up, and one time the film strip messed up and we watched a blank screen for about 3minutes til someone fixed it, but it was still awesome; and $3.25!  Even having dinner and a beer afterwards, my whole datenight cost lest than US$10.  Thanks, rainy season!

In general, groceries and the cost-of-living stuff are much more affordable here (as opposed to island-everything-imported-living in DR).  I affectionately describe Costa Rica as having all the beauties and pleasures of tropical island places, with NAFTA prices…. ;)

 

until next time…. pura vida amigos…

jt ;)

p.s. enjoy my volcano pics.  i put explanations on some of them…

p.p.s. one thing i forgot to mention is that we could hear when the volcano was erupting.  I tried to capture it on video, but i think it was too low-pitched for my camera to pick up.  The best way i can describe it is like distant thunder or maybe better like borborygmi... ciao!

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.