Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Luang Prabang - Temples, Tourists, Textiles (and Elephants!)

LAOS | Sunday, 8 February 2009 | Views [1539]

Wat Xieng Thong

Wat Xieng Thong

Luang Prabang is the tourist gem of Laos. It has one of the highest concentrations of well preserved Buddhist temples in all of Southeast Asia, earning it recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s also nestled between different mountain ranges and two rivers so it’s the perfect starting point for outdoor adventures.

Highlights:

  • Green Discovery Trek – The most memorable of our Laos experiences. I’ll cover this one in a separate journal entry.
  • Wat Xieng Thong – Luang Prabang’s most magnificent temple. Mostly wood buildings with intricate carvings and painted beams. I also liked the colorful mosaics depicting country scenes and the Tree of Life.
  • Xieng Lom Elephant Village – We signed up for a mahout (elephant handler) training course. The course included a one hour ride down the Nam Khan River, basic commands, bathing the elephant, and more. There wasn’t nearly as much emphasis on conservation as we had hoped, but we still had a great time with the gentle giants. My elephant was the youngest and smallest of the group. This made bath time extra fun because she could go completely under with me riding on top of her neck.
  • Main Street Old Town – The French Colonial Architecture with nice lighting makes for a magical feel. I love wood shutters.
  • Night Market – The perfect place to find cheap eats, textiles, and Beer Lao shirts.

Tags: elephants, temples, tourists

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.