Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Siem Reap - Temple Time

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 13 January 2009 | Views [827]

Ta Phrom

Ta Phrom

After spending two months in Thailand, it was time to move onto a new country. Cambodia, though very close in proximity, is worlds apart from its affluent neighbor to the west. The lingering legacy of civil war is noticeable as soon as you cross the border, both in the deteriorating infrastructure and the eyes of the people.  

Our first stop, Siem Reap, is one of the biggest tourist destinations in SE Asia, and for good reason. The city is the launching pad for exploration of the breathtaking temples of Angkor Wat. They’re listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and finalists in the voting for the New Seven Wonders of the World.  The temples date back to the 9th century with both Hindu and Buddhist influences represented throughout. Amazingly the temples survived the era of the Khmer Rouge, but not completely unscathed.

We hired a tuk-tuk for three days of “templing”. Our first day took us two hours outside of the city to Beng Melea, a remote jungle temple with lots of amazing trees growing from the temple walls. There were no crowds and we had a local guide so this was an excellent place to start our tour. Day two began at dawn, watching the sunrise over Angkor Wat. All the tour books list this as a required activity and I’d have to agree. Even with large crowds, the temple is magical in the morning light. We also saw Angkor Thom, with its massive rock heads, the Terrace of Elephants, the Royal Ponds, and many more. It was an exhausting day and we gave in before noon. Day three included Ta Prohm (think Lara Croft Tomb Raider), Banteay Srey (intricate carvings in pinkish sandstone), and Preah Khan (a massive monastic complex and formal royal city). We finished the day watching the sunset from Phnom Bakheng, a hillside temple overlooking the flat countryside.

I tried to limit my picture taking during our whirlwind tour, but even with 100 shots I probably haven’t done the temples justice. They really are an amazing site to behold and I feel blessed to have seen them in my lifetime.

Tags: angkor tom, angkor wat, banyon, beng melea, cambodia, siemp reap, tha phrom

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.