Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Koh Lanta - Lazy beach life...

THAILAND | Friday, 28 November 2008 | Views [1490]

Hello again... Sorry for the lack of journal updates. It's been an exciting week of stomach bugs, ferry rides, and beach days.

Despite all the big fuss on the news, things here in the south of Thailand are just fine. In fact, if it weren't for the update from concerned friends and families, we probably wouldn't have known about the trouble up north. We have no plans to fly within the next couple of months so the airport closure isn't high on our radar.

We left Krabi on Sunday 11/24. Originally, I thought our stay there would be too long, but it turned out to be the perfect amount of time to get my health under control. After two nights, I came down with a wicked stomach bug that left me bed-ridden. Thanks to some quick action from Sebastian and the local pharmacist I was back on my feet that night - just in time for Muay Thai boxing. The highlight of the matches was two 10 year old fighters working each other over so hard, they both puked in the ring. Think chain reaction vomiting similar to Stand By Me.  I was almost the third to go. :-S

We also had a great day of kayaking in Krabi. We boated out to Railey West and then explored Ao Phra Nang beach and the beautiful limestone cliffs of the area. The sun came through a bit, but not enough to light up the blue water as we would have liked. Check the Krabi album for more pictures from our time there.

We're now on day 5 in Koh Lanta. It's a great island with long stretches of beach and laid back bungalows and bars. We've seen most the island has to offer so the next two days will be pretty relaxed. The highlight of our time here was definitely renting motorbikes and driving to Mai Kaeo caves. The place was in the middle of nowhere and included wooden ladders and crawling on your belly in the mud (Sebastian was in heaven). We also did a four island tour yesterday. The first two stops were disappointing - snorkling in pools of baby jellyfish/squid and a nice lunch on a trash filled beach. Luckily the last two stops made up for it. We got to swim through a pitch black cave to a hidden cove that was once used by pirates (check Sebastian's journal for the pictures) and snorkel in a beatiful reef with a step drop off. Lots of great fish and coral. I can't wait to go diving on Koh Phi Phi next week.

Well time to go wake Sebastian up. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I certainly miss being there with all of you.

Tags: casa bar, klong khoang beach, ko cheuk, ko mook, ko ngai, ko waen, koh lanta, koh rok, long beach, mai kaeo caves

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.