Existing Member?

Jamie's Global Adventures

Bangkok - Scams, smog, and temples.

THAILAND | Tuesday, 18 November 2008 | Views [952] | Comments [1]

Wat Arun

Wat Arun

I just lost a long elaborate entry so this next version is going to be short and sweet. Damn you internet cafe!

Today is our last day in Bangkok and I'm quite ready to move on. My lungs could use some fresh air and I'm tired of everyone trying to pull one over on us. The guide books warn you about the tuk tuk drivers and it certainly holds true. We had one guy flat out ask us if we wanted the "direct route". The alternative takes you to different gem shops or tailors where they receive a commission. We got wrapped up in a pretty good scam involving a travel agency, but in the end we got some good assistance with accomodations and transport. I'm sure some of the accomodations won't be ideal, but the price was right and we saved ourselves some serious research headaches.

We still didn't get into the palace, but more of the temples were open. Wat Pho and Wat Arun were both very beautiful. The Golden Mountain (Wat Saket) gave a great view of the city and was covered in orchids. Our diet still consists mainly of street noodles and soup, but we found one good traveler's restaurant last night. Well it was a good find until we were dive-bombed by flying cockroaches in the alley. I don't mind cockroaches scurrying on the ground, but when they land on your neck it's hard not to jump.

Tonight we head for Krabi on an overnight train. We decided to get the southern leg of our trip out of the way first before the islands become insanely packed with tourists.  I can't wait for some more beach time. :-)

Check out the new pics in the Bangkok album. Sebastian also has some great shots. I'll link to his journal when they get posted.

Tags: bangkok, giant buddha, lucky buddha, scams, unseen travel, wat arun, wat pho

 

Comments

1

Love this way to keep up with your travels, J! Glad it's going good -- and keep up the updates!

Dan

  Dan Nov 20, 2008 8:25 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.