Existing Member?

Show Us your Craic! -'Australia'! John and Deirdra

Back Again! -Missed us?

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 22 August 2008 | Views [1198] | Comments [1]

Yet again I’m writing the blog cos Deirdra is either too lazy or too scared to write it –plus she’s kinda driving right now.

So –where were we …Considering it’s now the 21st of August and 4 weeks since we picked up the van. (I’m hurriedly trying to cobble together blog entries so as not to forgo on our commitment to/or conditions of, travelling in the van.

 When we last left you we were chilling in the Billabong Gardens hostel, Newtown. (…not Billabong village, Glebe –as previously stated… just shows how much we know!)
 Soon after we made friends with the girls and fella in our dorm …and promptly left. Manly was the area we were headed for (–on the Northern mouth of Sydney harbour) purely on the recommendation of Charlie Brown –my mate from back home.
  Apparently when he was making his way through Australia, back in 1904 (i.e. when he was 19) it was a great spot. (I really don’t think I can keep making those ‘Charlie’s older then me’ jokes –seeing as I’m now over the hill of 30!)

 Manly Backpackers
-Notable for the fact we managed to get a 4-bed dorm room to ourselves and they give you free toy Koalas on check-in.
We arrived in time to take advantage of bit of exploration and the free Wine (read goon,) and Cheese (read value cheddar,) night every Wednesday.
We’d been introduced to this at the Cooee back in Melbourne, and here it was a much more lowbrow and lively affair, which was good for getting to know our fellow inmates.
So things progressed and the supplied goon was dealt with.
A couple of guys were tempted into being guinea pigs in a bar trick proposed by an exuberant Canadian girl. They promptly had salt poured on their arms and ice cubes firmly pressed into them for what seemed like ages. The resultant dry ‘scar hole’ was impressive, in the kind of way that Sloth from The Goonies is. 
 
  After goon back-up had arrived and then been consumed a group of hostel’ites headed for the pub.
“Sweet, …Karaoke!” …Was what my brain was telling me …a result of the goon, and not my usual reaction.
|Within seconds Deeds and myself were on stage taking on Kanye at his own game. “Bo. Bo! Goldigga! –comin att-cha!”

It was a disgrace.
…One thing about doing drunk karaoke to rap is, you realise there’s a hell of a lot more words then you think! And mumbling on stage ain’t pretty!

So after my memory of the evening failed –Deirdra tells me I was too drunk and after someone else suggested similar, we had to leave.

Tags: 30, ambassador van, billabong, charlie brown, manly

Comments

1

Here now.. I didn't recommend Manly to you at all - what I actually said was "maybe all this backpacking will sort out the flabby beerhound you've become and by Sydney you'll be manly".

  Charlie Aug 22, 2008 10:02 PM

About jca


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.