Existing Member?

Show Us your Craic! -'Australia'! John and Deirdra

29.999999999999

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 22 August 2008 | Views [996]

The next day we were in the mood for chilling.
It was around 2 before we managed to pull ourselves out of bed and head for the sea front, about 50 meters away, in search of some grease for breakfast.

After waiting for this what seemed like an eternity for this Indian guy to serve the egg and bacon rolls we ordered, we collapsed on the sand, using my (by now uniform,) Victoria Market hoody as a towel.

For the next couple of hours we took it in turns to head back to the van for supplies and moving it as parking restrictions demanded.
The sun was warm this day and the seaside atmosphere was a nice antidote to the hangover and buzzy little Newtown, the place we’d just left behind.
After the pain in my belly had finally abated I left Deirdra to wander the shops and headed for the Greyhound Freight depot on the other side of Sydney.
A few months ago, when I learned I’d won this camper trip, I got my mum to send a bundle of technology over to me, including the laptop I’m writing on now. The package had arrived in Sydney after I had to leave it at my former employer’s in Perth, due to its weight and the flights I needed to take in between.

Anyway, I thought traversing Sydney at 4 in the afternoon couldn’t be that hard, I was from London, –plus I had the added power of GPS!
Well, again, how wrong. That polite lady in the black box on my dashboard clearly lacks any local knowledge when it comes to ‘what road will be busy and when’. So after 30ks, one and a half hours, and a toll bridge, I stood there, knackered, at the door of a closed freight depot. It had turned 7 by the time I got back.

The next day I would have to return, and by then my Twenties would be over.

Tags: 30, ambassador van, grease, knackered, manly

About jca


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.