Existing Member?

Show Us your Craic! -'Australia'! John and Deirdra

The Great Ocean Road- Lonely Planet Guidebook Experience

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [908]

So it’s Monday in Melbourne and I’m wondering why I haven’t seen Karl Kennedy or any other legendary Neighbours cast members yet! Where are they? Well it seems they’re to be seen only on one of the ridiculously over-priced Neighbours tours, so weighing up our options, we just decide to buy a GPS, throw caution to the wind and head off in the van to the Great Ocean Road, getting out of the city for a few days and into the freezing Aussie countryside.

 

In typical style, we end up winding along the amazing shoreline on the cliffs of the southern ocean in complete darkness, by the time we’d escaped the city, the sun had already gone down on us and we were missing some of the most amazing views in the country. so by torch-light I peeked at the map and we settled in the little town on Lorne and one of the best little Hostels I’ve had the pleasure of staying in.  A host of log-cabin type chalets’, snugly hidden amongst a hill- top of leafy trees and wildlife.- and all for only $20 each. With only 4 of us in total staying in the whole hostel, we had a long natter after dinner with the two other guests- one a Princeton graduate from the US, who spoke fluent Chinese, on a short break from his teaching Job in China, and a young Australian guy who was going up the Great Ocean Road on his own while skiving from School for a week.

Tags: ambassador van, great, great ocean road, ocean, road

About jca


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.