Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Regensburg

AUSTRIA | Friday, 29 July 2016 | Views [314]

Today we were in town for the whole day. Regensburg is a medieval town on the Danube River. We disembark at 9am for a 1.5 hour walking tour of the town. During the walking tour we saw the bridge they have been restoring for 7 years and still have 5 years to go. This is as long as it took to build it in the first place. We visited the Gothic Cathedral in the middle of the town and as usual it was being renovated. We walked around the town and saw the local shops and cafes and the fresco painting of David and Goliath. The old Town Hall was interesting being guarded by statues of two soldiers, Shutz was calm and welcoming and Claus was brandishing a rock. The message being come and enjoy the town but don’t do anything wrong while you are here!

The theme of our cruise today was Bavarian and we visited the oldest canteen in the world that was built in 1207 to feed the men working on the building of the bridge. It is still a canteen today and sells Bavarian sausage and sauerkraut. We had Bavarian sausage, sauerkraut and beer for lunch, yes, we gave in! It was quite nice, but not something you would do everyday! The strange thing was they had baskets of rolls on the tables for you to put your sausages in but when we went to pay we had to tell the waitress how many rolls we had eaten and they were 90 euro cents each. They were not big rolls, about the size and shape of a small croissant. The sausages were the short thin type but quite tasty.

The rest of the day was spent shopping and we bought a few things at the shops. It had a modern Galleria (like Myer) and the summer sales are on, so of course Gerard needed some retail therapy and bought some clothes. I am sure he didn’t pack properly so he could do this!

Back on board the boat and we had dinner followed by the Bavarian Devils who entertained us with typical Bavarian Music in their Leiderhausen and matching shirts. The music was fairly average, I don’t know that they were great musicians, or it was just not my style, but they did entertain us with some yodelling, playing the spoons and leg slapping

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.