Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Bonnie in Bonn

GERMANY | Friday, 22 July 2016 | Views [361]

This morning we cruised past Cologne and saw the Dom from the river and took some photos. What a magnificent building. Even though we have seen it before it is still amazing. We continued up the river to Bonn and had lunch. We decided to go for the light lunch instead of the four course lunch, but it was a smorgasbord with so many choices and courses – soup and rolls, pasta and toasties, salads and meats and blackforest cake. I am not sure what makes it light!

After lunch we caught a bus to visit a Drachenburg castle. It was about a 30 minute trip and then we boarded a “funicular” or geared railway carriage to go to the top of the hill. We did a tour of the castle which was very interesting and we took lots of photos as the gardens, the views and inside the castle were all amazing. We travelled back down on the funicular to travel back to the centre of Bonn for a walking tour. The walking tour took us to Bonn University and through the centre of the town to see the Town Hall, Town Square, where the books were burnt and Beethoven’s birthplace. Today was a very hot day – 38 degrees. So we were pleased to return to the boat for a cool drink and a shower before dinner.

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.