Existing Member?

Ania & Jason's Adventures

Visiting the Temples

THAILAND | Tuesday, 19 September 2017 | Views [381]

So today we went to the main touristy bits of Bangkok including visits to see the 3 main Buddhist temples.

 

The weather was pretty hot today with mostly blue skies (and therefore most red shoulders and foreheads)!

 

The day started with a visit to one of the smaller temples where we seen the golden Buddha.

 

We then definitely didn't get lost trying to find the massive river (Chao Phraya) running through the city- turns out we were walking parallel to it all the time! When we eventually found it we boarded a boat (after persuading Ania it would be ok!) which would drop us off at the main temples.

 

The first and biggest of these was Wat Phra Kaeo which contains the Grand Palace. Everywhere we looked there was gold and bright colours- it's difficult to describe how impressive it was- the photos probably don't even do it justice.

 

We then took another boat across the River to Wat Arun which was a completely different style to Wat Phra Kaeo but equally as impressive.

 

Another boat back across the river again (Ania was loving the boats by this stage) took us to Wat Pho which was probably the most colourful of all the temples we'd seen. It also includes the Reclining Buddha which was absolutely massive- again the photos don't do it justice!

 

After finishing here we took a walk back around the town to see a few more temples and sights before heading back to the hotel. The plan was to walk but we were both pretty knackered from the heat and from being on our feet all day. So we hailed down a tuk-tuk (even though I was initially apprehensive) and took a ride back to the hotel. I guess it's something you have to tick off the Bangkok to-do list.

 

After a rest in the hotel (nap in Ania's case) we headed back out again in the evening to get some food and drinks. Obviously we wanted to really experience Bangkok life and to sample all the street food, but instead we went to the Hard Rock- what can we say- food experimentation isn't our thing! It was quite good though as a live band started just as we got our food and we had front row seats!

 

We ended the day with a visit to a sky bar so we could get a night-time view of the city! We didn't have enough change for the train back to the hotel so we missed the last train which meant we got to experience another tuk-tuk- I think two dangerous journeys is one day is more than enough!

 

Bed time now though! Tomorrow we're going to explore a bit more of Bangkok in the morning before heading out to the airport to board our flight to Chiang Mai.

 

More photos have been added to the Bangkok folder.

 

Ania at Wat Phra Kaeo

Ania at Wat Phra Kaeo

 

About jasonmarshall22


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.