Existing Member?

Diego and Jose's tequila tour!

Loreto, Dos pescado taco por favor

MEXICO | Tuesday, 14 July 2009 | Views [739] | Comments [1]

(Mama) Lulu. The best food and spanish lessons in town.

(Mama) Lulu. The best food and spanish lessons in town.

It only took the border crossing from hell (so far) and 18 hours to get to Loreto, so we were kinda happy to get here. Loreto is a quiet coastal town of around 12000, known mostly for sport fishing, beaches (about 100km away!) and friendly locals.

Dave and Jarrod settled into a nice little hotel, the cheapest in town. Now this place looked quaint from the front. If you also describe mould as quaint, then it looked quaint on the inside as well. Any place that has it`s TV locked in a steel cage attched to the roof has to inspire you with confidence. Unfortunately there were no air conditioned rooms available, but how hot can it get?

BLOODY HOT. Picture 2 men. Balls out. Sweating profusely from body parts they weren`t aware they had before. Solution. Use physics and the laws of particle motion to set the fans so that we create a vortex of air to rush around the room and give the illusion of cooling.

Shit. That didn`t work either. Let`s just drink and play cards.

LATER IN THE DAY: We slid down the street on a sheen of our own sweat and found Lulu's Taco Paradise. This is the place where we would receive our Spanish lessons for the next three days. Lulu had a lot of patience, and even better, fantastic tacos. LESSON: One chilli meal, great. Two chilli meals, starting to burn. Three chilli meals and you'll know what your anus is truly used for.

NEXT DAY: Those kinda look like clouds... she'll be right. We head down to the market and get some fruit. The seller can't believe his luck. Two gringoes willing to pay 3 bucks for a pineapple and 3 bananas, dickheads (we thought it was a good deal). Back to Lulu's for lunch and some more spanish lessons when a clap of thunder (louder than Jarrod's butt reverberating) shakes the hut. After an hour with no let up we decide to chance it. How wet can we get?

Very wet. After 2 blocks we stop running and just casually walk. At least it is rain, that's a nice change from 40 degree heat... until the rain floods the sewer in the courtyard and spills its contents all over the tiled floor that serves as our entrance and exit to our room. This might help explain the mould. Smell? What smell?

Just to put it all in perspective.

Tacos = $1

Beer = 50c (with ice)

Where to next? The bus to La Paz and then on to the beach near the ferry terminal for the night before heading across to the mainland. What could possibly go wrong?

 

Comments

1

Hey Dave,

No surprise that you left without saying good bye - Mum keeps thinking you're avoiding her - I told her it's nothing personal. One of your students was staying with them in Donald at Band Camp - a bit odd really.

Now - I hope you don't do anything (too) stupid while you're away, stay out of the drug cartels and don't go making love with swine (although swine flu seems to be more deadly here).

Stay safe big brother xoxo

  Elle Jul 21, 2009 10:20 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.