Existing Member?

blundering-around-in-Africa

Two human frisbees

BOTSWANA | Sunday, 18 June 2006 | Views [870] | Comments [3]

On the banks of the grey, green, greasy, Limpopo River, beloved, that self same river where the elephant child got his trunk, Kipling could have written a sequel about How Joe and Jane of the Jungle became 2 large human Frisbees after being flattened by a large hippopotamus. These were my thoughts at 4 in the morning where we were in our small, flimsy dome tent listening to a hippo chorus which appeared to be getting closer. Discretion being the better part of valour we hightailed it out of the tent and spent the rest of the night in the car. Our only neighbours in the campsite had commented that our tent would not ward off hyenas and that building up the campfire was of no use as hippos are attracted by fires and come and stamp them out. Flea ,Joes friend in Gaberone who had lent us the tent among  many other generosities, had also taken great glee in telling us a life time of Africa stories which that particular night made me wish I had stayed at the Hilton.

The evening had been just beautiful, one of those magic evenings when you feel you are close to heaven. Full moon, sitting by a campfire by the banks of the Limpopo with all those night sounds that are Africa, distant hippo grunts and cicadas, thinking how great it would have been to share it with you. We had had our first sighting of elephants along with zebras, impala and kudu. The neighbours had been chased by a grumpy one tusker just to add spice and comeuppance for being rude about our tent.

Now back in Francistown and the end of a perfect weekend truanting from the orphanage to watch the soccer , texting  Binky after every goal, what a match!!!!!

Life at SOS is all good. Everything cruises along. Today the clinic was quiet so I spent the morning with the kindies who are very funny and a lot of fun. Then I taught the adolescent girls about safe sex and later joined the mothers choir. They are preparing for SOS day when we will have singing and traditional dancing and a wire car making comp for he boys. The younger adolescent girls are very funny and ask things like why would grandmothers want to have sex. When they see me they have an embarrassed giggle. I was teaching them about abstinence and saying NO using a clapping song to control the giggles. Afterwards I heard them walking off down the village singing no,no,no, no no, but realised they are little different from our own kids when they started singing YES, YES, YES, YES ,YES!!!!!!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Jane and Joe,
Glad you finally made it to Africa and you are having a great time. We will look forward to receiving your news. Martin is now couninting down to retirement. His LAST day of work is next Friday!!
Love to you both
M&M

  Martin and Mary Jun 22, 2006 2:19 AM

2

What an adventure! It puts our western life into another perspective. I am glad you both have the opportunity to enjoy and experience this time in your life. Take care. Rhonda

  rhonda Jun 22, 2006 1:45 PM

3

Jane and Joe,
You are getting to experience something that most of us will never have the opportunity to do. How wonderful that you have taken the time to share yourselves with children is such need of everything. Thanks for sharing and letting us live vicariously through you. Take care of each other

Love
Kim

  Kim Jun 23, 2006 1:30 AM

About jane-of-the-jungle


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.