Existing Member?

blundering-around-in-Africa

At the orphanage

BOTSWANA | Friday, 9 June 2006 | Views [2329] | Comments [9]

SOS Childrens Village Francistown At last we have our website going! It has beeen taking us ½ hour to open one e mail! We have now been here 3 weeks, living in SOS Francistown. The SOS villages are the inspiration of a Dane and are now all over the world. Orphans I am sure in the past have been cared for by the extended family in Africa but now with HIV many do not have that chance. Still this is not like the Dickensian orphanages you hear of in Romania or Korea, it is such a happy place. While housing, feeding and educating 230 children ought to need the infrastructure of the British Army, instead here, in the African way it all seems to happen with not so much as a raised voice and with a lot of laughter. The children live in family groups of up to 14 with 2 mothers and they stay with this group until at 18 they go to the youth house, where they learn to fend for themselves. It is quite beyond jane of the jungle’s master of domestic chaos to even imagine how you look after 14 children, dole out medication for the sick ones from 5 in the morning, spoon feed little babies, cook 3 meals for 16 and remain sane! The children accept their domestic chores and keep their rooms spotless. You see I should have gone for lessons! In contrast to being miserable there are constant games of soccer, wire car making and dancing going on and people often burst into song. As a volunteer you have to define for yourself what is useful, as they of course function really well without you. They think Joe of the Jungle has been sent by God to do all the repairs that have overwhelmed the 6ft 4 Matabele who does the maintenance, as there is a constant source of repairs from cars to bikes to school tables and lawn mowers. So for the present he has put aside his assegai and is up to his armpits in nuts and bolts. Joe OTJ has been very disappointed not to have the chance to wear his leopard skin leotard he had been wearing in the macas practicing his high swings and yodelling while supposedly harvesting. Most men of any distinction in Gaberone wore dark suits and shades and drove Mercedes. Perhaps when we go to the Game park. In the absence of a nurse here I have taken that role which is a little clinical work and supervising the mothers. I run exercise classes which are a lot of fun as most of the women are bigger than me and they have a good laugh at my attempts at traditional dancing. I have been doing teaching for the adolescents, safe sex being a life or death issue here. There are 32 children with HIV. Fortunately the Bill Gtaes foundation in funding a very effective treatment program so most of them are very well on their antiretroviral. Their stories are very sad, having lost both parents to HIV, then developing malnutrition followed by recurrent infections and often TB before getting frank AIDS. Here on regular medication and good food and care they thrive. During my time in Gaberone I did spent some time in hospital which was educative but very sad so many young people with Aids with TB, cryptococcal meningitis or pneumocystis pneumonia. That aside the staff here support very happy normal children who thrive in this place and become quite impressive young people. Our time in Europe was as always special. Sadly too short to catch up with friends but great to see family in England and to visit Kate in Spain where Marcus family soon felt like close friends. Joe and I knew that Mary, Joes mum, was dying, so saying goodbye was hard. She faded away gently like a flower and died 2 days after we arrived in Botswana. Joe went back to England and joined all her family in saying farewell. A long and dignified life. We will miss her. Marcus and Kate and my sister Cath are hoping to join us for a few weeks while we are in Zambia. On safari with Joe of the Jungle this weekend we are off to the bush. We save funds by camping which seems very trepidations as the tent feels very flimsy against the lions, elephants and dinosaurs lurking out there. Last time we shook all night only to find our camp marauder was a donkey. Joe of the jungle did not go forth with his assegai but joined Jane hiding in the sleeping bag. Love to all.

Tags: People

Comments

1

hope you continue to have a great time, say hi to the lions (and by all means the dinosaurs is you see any) from me; tell them i'll see them soon :)

  Marcus Jun 9, 2006 8:57 PM

2

Hello,
The orphanage just sounds so amazing - I am so incredibly happy it has all worked out so well after your months of preparation. You absolutely deserve to have the best adventure of all time.
Good on ya dad for being Mr Fix-it - getting the kids back on their bikes and mending all the toys. Oh, and playing soccer with all the boys and teaching them to build stuff - fun, fun.
And mum, with your warm approach, exercising with the women and sex edding the teenagers, which you have always been so good at. People are always drawn to you like bees to honey. I look forward to seeing your traditional dancing!
Keep having fun under the African sun.
Love you muchly, as always
Katie
xoxox

  Katie Jun 9, 2006 9:32 PM

3

Oh wow again!! What a picture you paint! I'm so glad for you both, and for Africa in your presence...
May the dinosaurs continue to behave and the dancing roll on!

Love that light a-shinin'...

Bitsy xoxo

  Bitsy Jun 9, 2006 10:16 PM

4

Jane and Joe

We are thrilled to hear that your African adventure has begun. Life and work in Vancouver seems dull in comparison. We will look forward to the adventure installments! especially continued reports from the dance class...we can only imagine. Lot of love

Anne and Michael

  Anne and Michael Jun 13, 2006 11:33 AM

5

Thank you both so much for your interesting, entertaining emails. Feels like we are sharing your experiences right there with you! Glad you are both well, sorry about your Mum Joe, it was so good that you still got to see her before she passed on. We are taking care of business for you and all is running well! PS. Stephie (mother of 6th Grandchild) is as sick as a dog and at the moment hating her husband, poor Brent. Love & kisses from us.

  Carmen & Anne Jun 13, 2006 11:42 AM

6

Hi wonderful to read your email it cheered me up tremendously to think of someone doing something new and exciting and having such a change of ordinary life pace! So how about some pictures? Hope you continue to enjoy it all. Love Anne

  Anne Griffin Jun 14, 2006 8:37 PM

7

Dear Jo and Jane,
Firstly Jo...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...I will keep my fingers crossed that the donkeys, hyenas, hippos, lions, elephants AND dinosaurs will see their way clear to allow you to celebrate your very special day without their intervention!
Secondly, we were so sorry to hear the news of your mother passing away. You must have taken comfort from having so recently seen her, however difficult it would have been when it came time to leave her. Our thoughts are with you.
On to happier stuff...loved the camping tales of J & J OTJ! I'm saddened that the leopard skin leotard hasn't had much of an airing as it sounds devine. One glimpse of you in a little number like that Jo, would have rendered any intruder into your camp weak the knees preventing any threat of having your fire extinguished!
The orphanage sounds quite a delightful place. Even with so much sadness in their lives, the children sound as if they are happy and content and I'm sure you both contribute greatly to that!
I will look forward to the next exciting installment of J&JOTJ...don't leave it too long!
Lots of love Jackie, John and family xoxoxoxo

  Jackie Cann Jun 19, 2006 3:38 PM

8

Hi dearest Jane and Joe

Wow what a wonderful story you tell of your adventures as J&JotJ. For some strange reason I couldn't open your email from home so I'm sneaking some time early in the morning at work to fashion this reply.

You are both very good at defining - and redefining for yourselves what is useful to do: with those you love and care about, with those you meet, and in the world at large. Your time at the SOS Childrens Village will be no exception and I have no doubt that you are both making a huge difference - in your own unique and very special ways - to the lives of those about you, as you always have. I think of you with much warmth and love, and agree with Anne and Michael from Vancouver that my life and work seems dull in comparison.

Looking forward to your next missive. For now, know that all is moving along with us in it's own way in space and time.

Lots of love
Philippa

  Philippa Jun 21, 2006 8:26 AM

9

Hi travellers!
I am so jealous of your amazing adventure and hope to do the same in the not too distant future! Keep up the amazing work!
Love Erica

  Erica Jun 21, 2006 3:11 PM

About jane-of-the-jungle


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.