Existing Member?

Our Travels

Egypt - Part two

EGYPT | Tuesday, 29 January 2008 | Views [943] | Comments [2]

Another cup of tea needed for part 2!

After seeing the valley of the Kings we headed to our cruise boat where we were to sail up the Nile for a few nights. It was great because we had managed to get a 50 passenger boat all to ourselves only 16 of us. It was great just roaming the boat, relaxing on the top deck and getting to know everyone better. However I think everyone enjoyed the cleanliness compared to our overnight experience on the train. YUCK!

We headed to Edfu Temple the next morning, where this temple had been dedicated to Horus the falcon headed god. Jamie’s favourite Egyptian god cause he looks cool as a human body with a falcon bird head.
The temple was really well preserved and was great to look at and admire, however there were SO many people there to really enjoy it.
We then got back on the boat and cruised up the Nile for a couple of hours before going to KomOmbo Temple. We looked around this temple for ages trying to find the goddess of justice. Finally found her with her wings spread out although weren't very impressed, as she was tiny. However she is Candice favourite Egyptian god. We then regrouped at this little hut where most people tried Sheesha (smoke) it has lots of flavoured tobacco, like apple, peach, strawberry, lemon/lime all sorts. We then headed back to the boat after bartering for some stuff. That night we all dressed up in traditional Egyptian clothing and played Egyptian games it was SO much fun. Jamie, Sid and Tim looked like they owned a lot of oil somewhere!!!

The next day we got to Aswan, this place was awesome. It had such a different feel to it. You would stand on the path and look over the Nile and there would be: Nile, palm trees (vegetation) and then the dessert all so close!
We then headed to the Bizarre street were most of us found bargins, very happy. We headed back to the boat where our cleaners had arranged animals from our towels on our beds it was great! At lunch Tim (Jamie’s lover at the time...'NO GAY') had organised a cake for his birthday, which was really nice. That afternoon we went for a Camel ride along the dessert which was a great experience, although I don't think the guys will be having kids any time soon!
We headed back to the boat for Jamie’s birthday dinner. Abdul and Candice had organised yet another cake for Jamie's birthday. However Tim had organised an Egyptian stripper...AKA himself. IT WAS HILARIOUS. We have video but will have to show you when we get home.  

The following morning we left 3:30am to meet our convoy of buses and police to head to Abu Simbel. It was scary seeing so many military around our vehicle checking that we had no bombs underneath the bus! We set off for our 3hr trip in the dark and everyone slept the whole way. We arrived and it was soooo cold as it was just on the banks of Lake Nasser and the breeze just cuts through you. The temples were moved in the 1960s to higher ground to make way for Lake Nasser. It's incredible to see how they moved them as they are so old and fragile. However they were amazing temples and well worth the 3hr trip. Our tour leader was hilarious as he sounded just like Borat and we kept him talking on the way home just to hear his voice.

That afternoon we went on a Felluca boat ride up the Nile to the Nubian Village. We got to chill out and relax on mattresses that were on the boat it was so comfy. We arrived at the Nubian village where we were bombarded with people trying to sell us stuff. We headed to one of the schools and got to see how little they really have. Jamie and I put some lollies in the school kid’s desk so they would have a treat when they got to school. However it was school holidays so they will probably be melted by the time they get them...oops! 
Abdul then took us to one of the Nubian Villages house where we got to see their living conditions. Makes you think twice about complaining, we live like kings and queens! They then made us dinner and it was the best food, made with love. Then we got to ask them questions about there culture and they asked us a few as well. WE ARE VERY DIFFERENT!!! 
   

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

I have just skimmed through all your travels. Wow how fantastic, I am really envious you have been to Santorini, it is on my place to go before I die list. I will keep watching your travels with interest.Keep safe. Love Aunty Debbie

  Aunty Debbie in Brisbane Feb 19, 2008 1:16 PM

2

Wow how exciting it has all been. Glad that you had birthday surprises. Keep up the journals they are great Alls well Love Mumma and Poppa Bear xoxoxo

  Polly Stait Feb 19, 2008 1:56 PM

About jamie_candice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.