Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Venice -April 2011

ITALY | Sunday, 22 May 2011 | Views [550]


For our second wedding anniversary, James decided to surprise me with a trip to Venice. He held this surprise trip up his sleeve for months, and it wasn’t until we cleared customs that he let the cat out of the bag! I was more than impressed after a difficult time packing for the unknown!

We arrived in Venice on the Friday afternoon, after an awesome view of Venice from the air. It is difficult to comprehend how Venice will look if you have not been there; but it literally is a place with over 150 islands, all grouped closely together and with a main road stretching across the water to the centre. There are no cars, so the daily commute is either on foot, through quaint, narrow streets or by taxi ferry. It really is something else. We settled into our hotel for an early night, following a lovely pizza and some gelato, ready to bus into the centre tomorrow.

 

Saturday

An early start following a yummy buffet breakfast (with pastries, cakes and all-at breakfast!) James and I jumped onto a bus. Within 10 minutes we arrived at the centre and was amazed to see the strikingly beautiful buildings and candy cane striped poles in the water-exactly how you see it on the movies! We jumped onto a water taxi and cruised the canels to find our bearings. It is easy to get yourself lost on the narrow pathways, which we managed to do quickly, although this was really a part of what made Venice so special. We stumbled across St Marks Square, more gelato and after negotiation even took a gondola ride, which was absolutely fantastic. I would really recommend doing a gondola ride.

Following lunch we went to the Peggy Gugainhein Art Mueseum, where we saw some Picasso paintings, as well as some very contempory pieces. To be fair, our art appreciation is limited, so not a place we would recommend to people!

We then decided to catch a water taxi out to another island, called Lido. This island has a beach, which looked nice but on closer inspection, was full of rubbish. However the gelato stores were endless, so it was not a lost trip!

After freshening up at the hotel and a fairly average meal of pizza and spaghetti bolognaise, we headed back into the heart of Venice and wandered the streets, to assess the night life.  Venice is very pretty at night but it felt like it was only tourist’s out and about. We headed home after a big day to rest our feet.

 

Sunday

For our last full day, we caught a water taxi to Murano Island, which is where all the lovely glass blowing is made. We watched a demonstration of a vase being made and walked the hundreds of shops selling the products. Some amazing sculptures (with some amazing prices!). I managed to purchase some Murano glass earrings.  The rest of the day was spent cruising the canals and walking the quaint streets we had not covered. We finished the day with a the best meal of the trip; spinach and ricotta pasta in a veal sauce and a seafood pasta in a cream sauce.  It is fair to say that overall Venice did not deliver on the food aspect as it was rather pricey for a poor quality of food-sadly a sign that this place has been over run by tourists.  But what it under delivers on food, it over delivers on beauty. Venice is definitely recommended to visit.

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.