Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Oktoberfest 2010

GERMANY | Wednesday, 10 November 2010 | Views [325]


We set off for our second year running at Oktoberfest, in the final week of the festival with friends, Kirk, Kate and Chris.  2010 was the 200th Oktoberfest and after how popular the festival was last year, we decided to go mid week, in hope to be able to move between the beer halls and find tables more easily. We arrived Wednesday evening, settled into out hotels and meet at a local café for a feed of pork scnitzel. James and I had been to a nice café last year with Emma, Maneesh and Hamish and although none of us could recall the name, we did manage to find the exact same place (we couldn’t believe our luck after googling ‘the best scnitzel in munich’ and coming up with the map to the café-“Steinheil”).  We had to wait for a table it was so busy but once seated we all enjoyed a scnitzel the full size of a dinner plate and chips, for a reasonable 9 euro 50 cents each.  And we enjoyed the local beers also!

The next morning we decided to go via Mairensplatz (the centre of Munich) to find Kate a dirndl (traditional Bavarian outfit). I had already dressed into mine which I bought last year and as we were shopping the boys managed to dress themselves in the traditional leierhousin too!  Probably best explained by looking at the photos!

We arrived at Oktoberfest and found a table at the Schottenhamel tent. Given it was lunchtime we all ordered lunch, which consisted of the yummy pork knuckles with dumplings and roast chickens. We then moved onto the Lowenbrau tent, and stayed there at a table for many hours, drinking and socialising with the locals. At this point, for Julie, it was time to head back to the hotel with Kate after feeling rather crook (let’s just say I didn’t pace myself!), while the boys stayed out until 1am having loads of fun drinking and enjoying the amusement rides.

After a slow start the next day, we all met back at Oktoberfest and started our first stein in the Hofbrau tent following a couple of amusement rides.  We also enjoyed some apple strudel and more roast chicken for lunch.  Following this, we moved onto the Hippodrome tent, although it was so busy and with many of the tables booked, we settled for a table outside in the beer garden area. This proved to be a great table, with us making friends with some americian guys along the way and singing many rock tunes which got the crowd singing along too. After a long night, Kate and I helped the boys home!

The following day we all met back at Oktoberfest, largely out of curiousity as to how busy it would be on a Saturday. We arrived to find we could only shuffle along in the areas outside the tents it was so packed and by 10am onwards, it would have been impossible to have got a seat in a tent anywhere. So we were pretty pleased with our efforts and with that, we enjoyed lunch in Mairenspltaz before heading out to the airport and back to sobriety!

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.