Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Rome 2010

ITALY | Sunday, 12 September 2010 | Views [512]

 

For the last Bank holiday in 2010, we headed to Rome, to make the most of summer. We arrived on the Friday, to a warm climate of 28 degrees, and after a huge hours wait for our bags to be collected (not very good when flying from a EU country!), we caught a train to our hotel, in Bologna.  It was a mad dash to get back to Colosseo; to meet up with our pre booked guided walking tour.  We spent the rest of the afternoon with the guided walking tour through the Colosseum, which was absolutely massive and so impressive (we cannot get over the fact they managed to build it in 8 years, whereas last year the council attempted to clean it, with cleaning only 12 of the arches taking one whole year!). We were also guided up Palatine Hill through the ruins of a private palace, and then ending at the Roman ruins. We learnt our first Italian saying on this tour “andiamo” which means ‘let’s go!’, which we used quite a bit during our stay! It was a three hour tour, in the heat of the day, so obviously we treated ourselves to our first gelato afterwards. It didn’t disappoint!

We returned to Bologna, and found a nice restaurant near our hotel, where we enjoyed pizza and another massive bowl of gelato. Yummy food!

We decided to have an early night, in preparation for a big Saturday touristing around Rome.

 

Saturday morning we headed straight to the Spanish Steps, with the most interesting aspect being watching the touters, who would walk up to any female, try to give you a rose, and once the female had taken the rose they would hound their partner for money. So many people were caught up with these dodgy touters, with some people even handing over 10 euro notes!  For the record, we were approached twice, and left with zero roses!

We then walked to the Trevi Fountain, which was such a grand fountain, with fantastic sculptures. I threw a coin over my shoulder, as they say it will ensure you return to Rome.

We then walked into the Pantheon, which is 2000 years old, and despite all the scaffolding on the outside, the inside impressed with a dome ceiling and beautiful paintings on all the walls. Following this, we walked to Piazza Navona, which was a large square filled with restaurants and gelato stands…this time we tried coconut and melon flavoured!

We then walked onto Vatican City, past Castle Sant, Angelo, and after admiring Saint Peter’s Square, we walked around the walls of the Vatican and entered the Vatican Museum.  Highlights of this included the Sistine Chapel, and many rooms filled with floor to ceiling paintings or beautiful sculptures, but it was impossible to take it all in, as it was so massive!

We then entered St Peter’s Basilica, which was jaw dropping-it was so huge and so impressive!  What is there to say about St Peter -it truly lives up to its reputation of being the largest, extravagant, and most impressive church in the world. We enjoyed a great view over Rome from the top, after climbing the 550 steps to the top! (Quite an achievement in the 30-degree heat!).

We then walked through the area, Trastevere, which had beautifully narrow paved roads, with lovely quant houses and restaurants and was less touristy! It was very romantic actually!

We walked back to the Colosseum, and took some lovely photos as the sun set, afterwards enjoying a dinner of pasta overlooking the great site.  A huge day of 12 hours on our feet today.

 

We had an early start on Sunday, meeting up with our tour group, to bus down to Pompeii, via Mount Vesuvius. There happened to be two Kiwi couples along with us, so we enjoyed chatting on the bus about NZ news and their travel plans.  We stopped initially at Mt Vesuvius, after driving past Napoli and some pimped out Italian men, who could pass as Mafia I am sure!

We bussed up most of Mt Vesuvius, and enjoyed looking at the old lava flows down the hillside from the 1944 eruption, where the land remained black and dead of plant life. 

From here, James and I took off up Mt Vesuvius, and after 15 minutes of uphill climbing, we reached the summit, to overlook a massive crater, with a small area of sulphur steaming out one part. I have to say, I was rather disappointed and was expecting more sulphur and drama! Nevertheless, there were great views over Napoli, and along the coast.

We then enjoyed the BEST pizza of the whole trip, at a local restaurant in Pompeii, with a nice glass of red.

After lunch we completed a two hour tour through the ruins of Pompeii, which were destroyed following the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in 79 AD.  The village was completely buried in ash and most people had died of asphyxiation we were told.   The village itself was so advanced, including using pipes to run water (not so wise that they were made of lead), and the road being lower than the houses, so the road drained away any sewerage. They had these large stepping-stones across the roads, so pedestrians didn’t have to walk through the drainage area (wise).  The whole place was massive, and if we weren’t with a tour guide, we definitely would have got lost! Two rooms, including the sauna in the gym area and one house were well preserved with paintings on the walls.  And there were plaster cast moulds of people and animals found at the site following the eruption, which was very airy. 

We arrived back late into Rome and wandered into a fantastic family run restaurant, or trattoria, where the waiter only spoke Italian. The whole menu was in Italian, so James and I knew we had found a local gem.if only we could work out what to order! We both chose pasta, with my dish of Ravioli being the winner (I had never had fresh ravioli before and we can definitely recommend it!).  Oh and the bruschetta was delicious too.

After a sleep in on Monday, we checked out of our hotel, and headed straight for a local market, to taste a few local treats. I chose some olives, which happened to be in chilli oil, so really not the best start to breakfast! However, we also managed to pick up some spices here and later on found a bakery filled with not so tasty treats (my chocolate biscotti tasted like Christmas cake!).

After more gelato, and strolling the streets, we collected our bags from the hotel and headed back to the airport, very satisfied with our first Italian experience.

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.