Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Belgium

BELGIUM | Sunday, 22 May 2011 | Views [631]


Saturday

Following our week in the South of France, James, Mum, Dad and I headed for Belgium via train. For Easter weekend It was a slow start, with a three hour delay to our departure from Paris to Brussels, resulting in the whole day being about travel. Once we arrived in Belgium, we caught a tram to our hotel, only to find they had made an error in their booking system and we could not stay there. At first thought, this was the last thing we needed, however, it resulted in an upgrade to a 5 star hotel with a free breakfast, so we could not complain! That evening we walking into The Grand Palace to see the beautiful old town hall, built by 1420 and sampled some Belgium beer at the Delirium Café. The Delirium Café is famous for having over 2000 different beers, including some from around the world. The bar itself is not so pretty, with kegs and tubing running all over the bar! It was beer heaven. James tried two fruit beers at 10% alcohol content and the rest of ours ranged from 4-10%. Following our drinks we had some moules et frites (Mussels and Fries) at a local restaurant. Despite these mussels not being green lipped and therefore, about half the size, they were still delicious. And considering Belgium has a coastline that is 67km long, we were quite impressed to see them being sold almost everywhere.

Belgium is quite a unique country, which has a mixture of languages from being invaded over the years. 40% of the population speak French, Dutch/Flemish is spoken by 60% and German is spoken by 1% of the population. It is said that you choose the language you greet the person in, so to establish the language your conversation will be spoken in. We found English to be widely used also which was handy when my rusty French failed me!

After ogling the chocolate stores, we headed back to the hotel for an early night.

 

Sunday

We joined a tour group to visit Ghent and Bruge today, following a hearty buffet breakfast (with Belgium waffles featuring!). Dad really enjoyed the bus trip and was interested to find cattle grazing in paddocks, much like in New Zealand, after seeing the opposite in the South of France. Ghent was a quaint town, with beautiful architecture and canals running through part of it. I managed to purchase some Guylian chocolates also. Following the guided tour, we headed for Bruges. Bruges was well worth visiting, with this historic village being built around the canals that run through it. It is often called ‘The Venice of the North” and inhabits a population of 117,000 people. We walked the streets and managed to get ourselves onto a canal boat for a 30 minute cruise which was lovely. James and I managed to pick up more chocolates; 1kg for 12 Euro, which was a real bargain! Do not ask me why we both felt we required 1kg of chocolate! Mum also enjoyed the lace stores, where we watched some lace being made (I did not realize the work that went into that).

Following our return to Brussels, we found another restaurant where moules and frites were on offer before retiring to our hotel.

 

Monday

On our final day in Brussels, we signed onto a bike tour and were pleased to meet a young tour guide called "Titch". We were lucky enough to be the only four on the tour, so we got to ask all the questions we wanted. He has also spent a year in New Zealand himself, so we had some common ground. We biked all over the city, to the Kings Palace, to city gardens to the European Union offices. He took us to the most popular chip shop, where we had a cone of double fried fries with various sauces and another Belgium beer. It was a great tour with the occasional laugh where James realized someone had swapped bikes with him-turns out Mum hadn’t realized her bike seat had raised in height!

After the tour we headed out to the Anatomium- a giant iron molecule (102m tall) built for the World Fair in 1958.

Following this, our time in Belgium had come to an end, and we headed for the Eurostar, back to London. 

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.