Existing Member?

Backpacking Solo

Sydney Opera House and Bridge

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 20 October 2005 | Views [623]

Hello again, god my feet are killing!!!! I'll rewind abit, to how I got the feet to kill.

I went out lastnite with some of the people from my dorm, we had a wicked laugh in sidebar, this is the bar under the hostel, they had this dou on, that were quality, cant describe how gud, every1 in the bar was goin mad, I got stung 15bucks for a double vodka redbull, crazy....wont be havin another 1 of them too soon....anyways got abit drunk, nuthin silly like back home, headed in about 12:30 stayed up chattin with the girls in the dorm 4abit wen i got back. Didnt think i was gonna get to sleep, cus as were on the 1st floor which is relativly close to the basement were the bar is, and you can still hear the music, but i was out like a lite!!!

Woke up this mornin (630ish) with pure carpet mouth, and to make matters worse my drink was on the floor....I WAS ON TOP BUNK!!!! so i suffered it for about 20mins, but by this i was wide awake, so i got up, chucked sum clothes on and headed out to get some shampoo and toothpaste, as in my wisdom, I left them at home.

It was raining wen i got outside, not hard but it was that fine rain that soaks you through! anyway got wot I wanted, went bk had a shower etc, and got out for about 730, I had this full english breaky (typical i know) but im not goin bk, gonna try an eat at the hostel in future.

Anyway, anyway, anyway, I started walking down george st, this has got to be undoubtibly the busiest street in the city (Katy there are a million an 1 shops on this street, youd love it) it leads you straight to the harbour bridge and great views of the opera house....now I gotta say I reckon all the post card pics of the opera house are from when it was brand new, cus it looked abit dirty to me, never the less very magnificent. It was really wiered walkin up george street, towards the opera house cus the wind was picking up, I cud smell sea-smell and then it popped into view, and you almost kinda think its not real cus you only ever see it on the tv or postcard, and then you see every1 working, delivering etc and it sinks in that "yes it is real, and they do use it" so I walked round "the rocks" (dont be worried mum I wasnt climbing over rocks on the harbour edge, its what the place is called, its near pier 1) it leads you round under the bridge, which doest look big from a distance but when you under it, its "flippin" massive, the biggest nuts and bolts ive ever seen holding it to the ground!!! its started to rain, but again, its not like english rain, your just not bothered here. I looked up and I cud see these black blobs moving along the bridge curve, some people on a tour...it looked well blowy up there and it didnt look like the rain was doin them any favours. I Carried on round the road for abit then realised I'd lost my room key for the hostel (its like a credit card you wear round your neck...typically I had it hanging out of my pocket tryin to look cool yes you may be asking yourself...looking cool with a room key "L", so I went back and it was on the floor on the other side of the bridge. Started to walk bk to the city then, through this like art gally village place, and again got ripped of 3bucks for a sprite, they must all keep a look out for me coming!

Got back to the city edge and had a look at herald sqaure, think its bin there since 1861, its like a water feature, quite impressive.

Took a walk back along Pitt street...this street run paralel to george street, but not as busy and not as many shops, more corporations and high rise buildings, so I cut back through back onto george street were I started walkin bk towards the hostel-way, its takes about 20-30mins to walk from wakeup to the harbour, its well worth it, but I can honestly say, my feet feel battered!!!

I'll upload some pics soon, I just aint got that far down my bag yet to get my camera cable, and its still abit of a trek to hostel and bk.

Its a girls birthday in my dorm 2moro so I think were goin out on route 69 2nite, its a pub/bar crawl, shud be a good crack :D

Anyhoo im off to give my feet a rest, then im gonna go get som shoppin.

c u in abit :)

Tags: Sightseeing

About james


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.