Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Sunday 11 Sep 11

USA | Tuesday, 13 September 2011 | Views [259] | Comments [1]

I should start this day's report with a memorial to those who died in the three acts of terror which occurred on this day, 10 years ago.  I'm referring to the three planes which were commandeered by terrorists and crashed into various structures with the loss of over 3000 innocents.  The tenth anniversary was marked by ceremonies all over the US, but mainly ficussed on New York where the President spoke to the crowd, from behind a glass barrier.  Obviously the threat of a repeat act of terror was believed high and the authorities were taking no chances. 

There is understandably a good deal of emotion here in this country about the barbarism visited on them and we have seen, in small country towns, memorials to folk from these same towns, who died in these cowardly attacks. 

We have also visited the Pentagon memorial which is a fitting tribute to those who sadly lost their lives in this barbaric act.  It is very moving.

Just as we do for those who died in our experience with terror in Bali in 2002, we should never forget.   

********************

 The day after the big one was a recovery day, but we managed to clean up the house and outside area, as well as packing up all the items which needed to go back to Virginia Beach.  Bill and Linda called by at around 10.30am to drop off Lucas and collect the items we borrowed from them including tables, chairs and chafing dishes.

They left to undertake the three hour drive back to VB at about 11.30am.  Marg and Leanne packed away all their kitchenware, while I helped to shift the washing machine/dryer combination so we could access a drain which had caused us some grief the night before.

I think that during the preparation of last night's meal, a fair bit of gunk (technical term for food scraps) had been washed down the sink and pounded to near death by the Insinkerator, but it hadn't quite managed to move past one of the drains and a blockage had occurred.  This created a pool of water under the washing machine which threatened the enjoyment of the night, till we put an embargo on using the dishwasher and sink and agreed to get at the drain the next day (ie today).

Marg went to Home Depot (where else ?) to get some high quality drain cleaner and on her return I dosed the drain with it, waited the required 15 minutes and gave it a good flush.  It worked!

Everything went back to way it was after having been cleaned of the gunk (see above) and the embargo was lifted.

The rest of the day proved tranquil, though Marg found plenty to do without bothering me overly.

Some more pics from the wedding.  This one shows the tucker that Enzo provided -

 

This is Marg and Leanne -

Leanne and me -

The new family -

Our magnificent chef, Enzo and Leanne -

Comments

1

Congatulations to leanne and brian on your beautiful wedding day, you all sound that you had a great day.Margaret and Jack all your hard work in the garden looks great.
Love and best wishes from Margaret and Gordon

  margaret garlick Sep 13, 2011 12:51 PM

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.