Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Thursday 8 Sep 11

USA | Saturday, 10 September 2011 | Views [234]

The day started off as any normal day does, but degenerated with the latest natural disaster to strike the central east coast.

Did a little housekeeping in the morning in preparation for the wedding on Saturday and then welcomed Brian's folks who arrived from Virginia Beach at a little after midday.  They brought with them a wagon load of tables, chairs and necessaries for the wedding.  After the appropriate time spent hobnobbing, they took Marg and me to the shops - what would a day be without a visit to a shopping centre ?  We managed to buy what all was necessary as we walked around a shopping mall which had a myriad of rubbish bins placed strategically to catch water leaking from the ceilings.  Did I mention it was raining ?  Well, not so much raining as deluging !

It was relatively fine when we left home and we thought it looked good enough to allow us to get to the shops, do our spending and walk home, but it was not to be.

When we came to leave the centre, it was pouring and clearly we were trapped.  We went to several likely looking shops to buy a couple of umbrellas but no dice.  They had all been captured by the locals who were quicker than we.  So, we called good ol' Leanne and begged her to came by the shopping centre and pick us up.  She did, but managed to call at the wrong entrance first after we had explained, by text and quite cogently, where we were.

She's female and therefore prone to such errors.

Nonetheless, we managed to marry up and get home, relatively dry.  Brian got stuck on the interstate coming home from work and only made it at 8.30pm when he usually gets home at 6.00pm.  Traffic was intense and he encountered localised flooding combined with a few accidents, which added to the drama.  In just the same manner as at home, drivers here seem unconcerned with the adverse conditions and continue to drive like folk possessed of the demon - but here the speeds are higher, the cars far more numerous and the potential for harm, much greater.  

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.