Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Wednesday 7 Sep 11

USA | Friday, 9 September 2011 | Views [267]

Nothing much happened today so there won't be much text here - in fact this is more or less, it.

Another indoor day - nothing to be done outside.

I'm reading a series of books written by Cormac McCarthy - an American writer who is selling very well.  So far (I've read two of his books to date), they are set in relatively modern times - say up to about the middle of the 20th century - and revolve around young Americans who venture into the badlands of Mexico.

He makes extensive use of spoken Spanish in his book which, while it maybe true to life, is all double Dutch to me.  Don't know why he does that, it's very hard to follow some of the Spanish conversations and he disdains the use of quotation marks, so it becomes doubly difficult to follow at times, till you become used to the style. 

The books are well written and tell a good yarn, but (and I could well be proven wrong if I read more), they seem to have very similar themes.  Nonetheless, they are national bestsellers, whatever that means in the exaggerated world of publishers.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.