Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Monday 22 Aug 11

USA | Wednesday, 24 August 2011 | Views [591]

Not much done today - it was more or less a rest day.

We finished off the quarter round job by cutting a couple of small pieces to follow the contours of the door wood, which necessitated some crafstman-like whittling of the MDF quarter round, to fit the architrave and door jamb areas, a little more neatly.

Also finished off the hand hole in the side gate, so that the locking mechanism can be accessed from the front as well as the back, but noticed that the gate seems to be leaning more than it was - the bolt hole I drilled in the side cladding is now not quite in the right place.  What is happening is that the gate post which should be a solid construction and immovable, is not.  It's moving with the weight of the gate.  The only solution would be to put a small wheel on the bottom of the gate, so that the gate is held up by it.  

Here's a couple of more photos from the American Wartime Museum Open House day -

We now have a phone (a throw away from Verizon) and I was able to make contact with my Amish spokemaker in Ohio.  His name is Noah Stutzman and the procedure is that you ring him and leave a message - he will then call you back.  It worked that way for me and I was able to pass on my need for 50 spokes for the Model T, ie 12 per wheel and 2 spares.  He said he needed about four weeks to make them and I told him we were going to the Hershey PA Auto Swap Meet around 5/6 Oct and that I would then drive over to Ohio to collect my spokes.  His price is $6 per spoke which is around half the price for the same spoke from the usual Model T suppliers.  So it means a difference of about $250 - pretty happy with that.   

I'm very interested in his workplace and imagine it will be full of old style machinery.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.