Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Day 1 - Wednesday 3 Aug 11

USA | Friday, 5 August 2011 | Views [472]

Our departure from home had been organised via the Fremantle Airport Shuttle, leaving at anytime between 4.00 to 4.30 am.  In the event, the bus was late which caused us a few concerns, but the driver (a Pakistani) got us to the airport in sufficient time for us to do what checking in was still needed.  We’d done most of the work on line, so there wasn’t much delay at the ticketing counter.  Nonetheless, it was straight onto the plane when we arrived at the departure lounge and a good swift trip to Sydney followed, in one of Qantas’ finest.

 

There was similarly, little delay for us in Sydney after we had bussed from the Domestic to the International Terminals.  Sydney Airport seems to be very run down and tired – a little like Perth actually, and could do with a makeover.  Some of the other airports we frequented on this trip, were significantly better in presentation and function than Sydney (and Perth for that matter).

 

Immigration was unnecessarily difficult – a few signs up indicating what was required in terms of paperwork, would have smoothed the departure of we passengers, but regrettably any such initiative was too much for the Immigration Service - I’m sure it’s the Labour Government.

 

So, we departed without further incident and embarked on our 14 ½ hour flight to Dallas.  While Marg had the window seat, I sat next to a 20 something who was heading to Chicago (for 12 days) and then to Edinburgh, to take a singing part in a cabaret.   She seemed very mature for her age, but I guess that’s only natural for a performer.

 

Arrived in Dallas and speedily negotiated both Immigration and Customs with no problems.  In fact both individuals we encountered were very friendly – the Immigration fellow mentioned that “we had trodden on the same ground” when Marg advised him that we had spent time at Fort Benning.  He told us he had done the para course at Benning in the early 80s.

 

We knew our time in Dallas was quite limited and we were concerned at any delay, but we encountered plenty !  When we got to the screening area, we were told to go elsewhere to obtain our boarding passes for the next flight to Washington.  There was some delay here as the computer system didn’t appear to be functioning smoothly, then at the screening area we were behind a large American (they all seem to be that size), who removed most of his clothing (including shoes and belt – only in America !) and placed it all in a variety of trays together with an oxygen machine and various medications.  When he was quite sure he was ready for the encounter with the TSA and completely ignoring the foreigners behind him who were on the verge of total panic at the thought of missing their plane, he moved on through the screens.  We followed and once through, we doubled away smartly to find our departure lounge which unfortunately turned out to involve a train ride from D Concourse to C Concourse.  Dallas is a very large airport and the various departure concourses are connected by a train which seems to cover a lot of vacant space for no apparent reason.  We finally arrived panting and beaten at departure lounge C21 only to be told as we had expected, that the plane had left.  The attendant however showed considerable initiative and told us that she realized we had probably been delayed at Customs and she had re-booked us on the next flight.  Although you remain unknown to us, “we dips our lid” – thank you for helping two needy travellers !

 

Arrived in Washington at Ronald Reagan National Airport, via an American Airlines flight after around 24 hours of travel and found Leanne and Brian waiting to collect us.  That part of the plan worked, at least.   Our cases had arrived on the earlier flight but it was no trouble to collect them from the luggage office and head off to Springfield.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.