Existing Member?

Sister Adventures

Wachau valley

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 11 July 2015 | Views [229]

Prince and Princess apricot in Krems, the Wachau Valley.

Prince and Princess apricot in Krems, the Wachau Valley.

Today we cycled 42 kms through the Wachau valley.  It was probably one of the most beautiful rides I have ever done.  We started in Krems, where the annual apricot festival was in full swing. 
From there we went to Durnstein which is a lovely medieval town.  We sampled apricot shnapps and walked through the town. 
 
From there we went to the Gelert Spa. It was lovely! The perfect way to spend a blistering hot day (40•C).  There were 8 different pools of varying temperatures. My favourite was the ice cold tub outside the sauna.  We spent 4 hours there soaking and relaxing in the shade. Photos were not allowed in the spa itself, but here are some shots of the hotel.  It makes the hotel Fort Garry look like a shack.
 
 

 We then headed for lunch and  a glass of wine in the next town.

Just before we stopped for wine we had our lunch on the riverbank and we saw our "kids" paddling along in their long wooden boats- amazing!  
 
Our final stop was at St. Michael's church, which dates from the first millennium (800 a.d).

Tags: riding through the wine country

About j-a-z

Off to catch a train. It is 36 degrees and we finally found the bike path.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.