Existing Member?

Sister Adventures

Vienna

AUSTRIA | Friday, 10 July 2015 | Views [247]

Street scape in Vienna.

Street scape in Vienna.

Friday July 10th

We sailed through the night to Vienna. Anna and I decided to take the tram into Vienna's downtown and sightseeing area. We walked all over the place from 1:30 until 6pm, when we got back to the boat for dinner. These are some of the things that we saw:
St. Stephen's Cathedral, the royal palace, Volk's garden, the Mozart monument, Theresa square, the natural history museum, the national Library, the butterfly garden, the parliament, called the Rathaus is German, how ironic, the national opera house, and too many other beautiful buildings to count or even to know what they were.
Take note: the gardens although beautiful were not what I would call manicured. The grass is always long and has multi species in it, weeds,clover etc. I think that herbicides are not allowed. The buildings are is such great shape, no damage from the war. Austria apparently surrendered before anyone could bomb them. Young adults were dressed up like Mozart and selling tickets for the shows- operas and symphony. They looked nonplussed. I can not imagine how they felt on those 40degree days.

After supper we went for a bike ride. Anna was not into it, but I forced the issue and we cycled around for about an hour. I wanted to go to the UN building, but we got a little turned around and ended up cycling on the island for a bit and turning around. It was a beautiful day.

Tomorrow we ride the Wachau valley, last ride before e get off the boat.

 

Tags: checking out vienna

About j-a-z

Off to catch a train. It is 36 degrees and we finally found the bike path.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.