Existing Member?

Dust thou art

Breathing In, Breathing Out

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 14 May 2008 | Views [658]

You are the change you want to see in the world (M. Gandhi)

Being on retreat with Ven. Master Thich Naht Hanh always puts a sock in my mouth, I never know how to put in words the work I do on retreat, the meditation and practice, the suffering and the breakthroughs.  You'll be pleased to know I'm wearing a blue robe, at some point when I have time I will upload the pictures so you can have a good laugh. I've been on a retreat called engaged buddhism, now we are attending the UNESCO Vesak celebration conference in support of our teacher. In the conference we celebrate the birth, death and enlightenment of our Lord Buddha but we also discuss peace and engaged buddhism and how to change the world as an international sangha.

Dr. Bikkhu Bodhi was supposed to speak today but he could not attend and Miathieu Rickard (he's supposed to be the happiest man alive) spoke instead. It's a pity but it is a consequence of the politicisation of Buddhism right now.  

I wish I knew what to say! But I'm feeling very nourished, supported and filled with joy. Today the Vietnamese people lined the streets as we did walking meditation towards the national covention center to bow to us, we bow back because that's what we do, I was in tears because old viet women were in tears of joy to see us and i couldn't help but reciprocate.

I know I sound like a complete hippy but I just don't care! It's like trying to describe how a mango tastes, you can't find the words so you just offer a piece of the fruit.  

P.S 28/05/08 I've uploaded the pictures to my facebook page rather than here, I'll put them on he when I can.

 

  

About isla-morris


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.