Existing Member?

Shitscared and headfirst into Chaos

Switzerland... where the cookie crumbles

SWITZERLAND | Tuesday, 14 August 2007 | Views [500] | Comments [1]

Haven't had the oportunity to write lateley and say where i am. So i arrived in Switzerland on the 3rd of August and traveled up into the mountains around Grindelwald. This is a place where the mountains don't gently roll to a point and look all friendly and walkable, no far from it. They look like broken teeth upthrust from the infected gums of the earth, impenatrable and forbidding. Or at least thats the case to a lazy bastard who doesn't like walking up hills in the first place.

The weather got onto us about 2-3 days into the trip, and it pretty much felt like it was a case of Switzerland saying "you thought you were going to have a fun entertaining time, but this is the way it's really going to be". The skies opened upon us with a fury of torrential rain, turning the ground to mush and dreams to nightmares. On the day that we quit the campsite, so did everyone else, thats how bad it was. We struugled the somewhat 500m down the road ,ladden like pack mules, seeking shelter in a hostel near the Grindelwald Grund train station, and then patiently let any excitement leach out of our minds as the weather slowly sapped any diminishing will to holiday out of our bodies.

Two days in Grindelwald Mountain Hostel and we had pretty much decided to hell with the place, and we took off down to the River Lodge in Interlaken Ost. Nice place, literally on the river, we are still here at the moment, but are currently camping again, we decided to face the uncaring elements again and so far they don't seem to be playing up to much, other than a spot of rain yesterday afternoon.

So far though, Switzerland seems to be the country that is going to break me. I have had damn well enough of dragging my arse across the world, and feeling guilty for buying the occaisional snickers bar because i can't damn wll afford it, because it ( the money) could be better spent on a train ride in Athens. This isn't a holiday it's a fucking accountans nightmare (dream come true). 

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

AHhahah sounds good, made my day lol!Hey thanks for the post card by the way, what is it with you and Juanita you guys competeing for the ugliest post card competition or something? first her rusted out light house, and now your delapidated rotting timber bridge, shudder. ill even it up when i travel with a couple of inappropriate toppless post cards. Hey like I said if moneys an issue you can always borrow a teensey bit off me muhahaha, ill just remind you of the fact for the rest of your days if you do lol.

  Tristan Aug 16, 2007 5:43 PM

About incarna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.