Existing Member?

My Travels

25th January 2012

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 25 January 2012 | Views [276]

As I'm teaching an English lesson this morning there is one girl that I just can't seem to get interested. I tried adapting the content to something I think she may be more interested in, I tried making it a bit easier and she continued with correct yet brief contributions so I made it harder which she just seemed to withdraw from completely. I think "perhaps she is tired, let's make a physical activity" but she just quietly walked away seemingly without being noticed, the first chance she got. I tried asking her what the matter was and I could see she was crying. She said "I am good, I am happy". I asked if something had happened that had made her sad, and she said "no I am good". She obviously just did not want to talk to me, not because she didn't like or trust me I don't think, but because why would she try to talk about something she is finding hard in her life in a strange and foreign language. 
When I first started my bachelor of education my goal was always to do psychology or counseling as well because the teacher student relationship can create a trust and bond that is just what an individual needs at a confusing age in their life. As my degree seemed to drag and drag, this idea became less and less appealing until it was forgotten altogether. In my early years I wanted to be the teacher that the student could talk to about their problems at home such as sibling or parental abuse, teasing, bullying. But what if the child doesn't have a home, yet alone parents for that matter, and they have been separated from there several siblings. These are children in the ultimate life crisis at the most tender age of their lives. I have no way of possibly helping them unless I master the Khmer language in a matter of days! And even then, In a matter or weeks I get to go back to my clean, warm running water, refrigerator, toilet paper and other "daily essentials". 

About imelda


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.