Existing Member?

All in a lifetime's work.

Grocercise & BaBaReba

USA | Wednesday, 29 August 2012 | Views [476]

This week has been absolutely jam packed with activities. I cannot remember being this busy since college. It feels great. I will not burden you with moment by moment accounts of my activities but keep reading to see some of the highlights.

I went to the Cubs v. Rockies game on Saturday. It was beautiful! All of my friends were busy so I gave my extra ticket to my coworker as he was already planning on going. It was nice to kick back and relax on a Saturday afternoon. I managed to end the day with no sunburns, except on my scalp where my part was. I was so close to escaping sunburns all together, too!

On Sunday, I spent some time after mass with friends having a delicious brunch and followed it up by going over to a friend´s house. She is studying to become a homeopath and offered me a remedy for my sunburned scalp. (For those of you that don´t know, homeopathy has been around longer than the AMA, was initially used by English royalty for their ailments and is an all-natural non-medicinal option that uses plants, minerals, etc in a dilluted form to give your body the kick it needs to start/continue working properly. There are zero side effects as it uses what is naturally made to assist our bodies.) I was slightly reluctant to use the remedy as my burn did not hurt but she insisted, stating that it would nonetheless heal the redness and burning within 24hrs. The remedy is about the size of a small BB Gun Pellet and is preserved in sweetened milk. You simply pop it under your tongue and within 10 mins it dissolves. While I was quite skeptical, curiosity got the best of me and I took the remedy. Within an hour, the intense burning sensation on the back of my head (completely unrelated to my sunburn) that I had been experiencing intermittently for several years but no doctor believed, was gone! I was shocked because no medicine has been able to do that for me. I was so excited, I called my friend and asked what kind of burning this remedy is supposed to relieve. She stated that any burning sensation internal or external will be relieved. I told her my story and she was elated to hear the news, especially since I had no disclosed that additional ailment to her previously.

Long story short, she is taking classes from the best homeopath in the nation who will be visiting Chicagoland in the next few weeks. As this has more than caught my attention, I will be attending two of her mini-lectures and even signed up for a consultation with her. I have been going to a number of doctors recently for some health concerns that no one seems to be able to pin down the root issue so I am placing my bet on this lady to be able to help me. The best part is, is that since the remedies are all natural, no patents can be placed on them. Aka, you pay pennies for a single "pellet" of a remedy. It is mind blowing!

Apart from that excitement, I "developed" a new exercise I like to call "grocercise". It is exercise for groceries. Monday, I decided to be ambitious and ride my bike 3 miles to the grocery store, shop for my weekly food, and then bike back with my purchases in my bike baskets. Riding to the store was the most challenging portion of the entire trip. I thought it would take me significantly longer but the whole journey (including shopping) only took me 1 hour, which is about the same amount of time it takes if I drive. It was great! Admittedly, I got a few tree branches in the face, encountered more hills and stairs and even 3in wide gravel cliffed footpaths than the scouting car ride lead me to believe there was. All in all, I loved the experience and plan to do that weekly! I even bought lights and reflectors for myself and my bike so I can ride safely as it starts to get dark out.

Tuesday, the newly engaged Miss K.S. drove through Chicagoland on her month long cross-country adventure. I met her and her cousin downtown for a delicious dinner at Joe´s Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab restaurant. We went out for a few drinks afterward (just soda for me, the driver!) and as we got talking to others around us, we discovered that the folks we were speaking with were from NYC and one even lived in the same building as KS. Small world! I very much enjoyed her visit.

Tonight, work had an outing planned for the finance department. The first portion of the day, we had a town hall meeting on Shareholder Value. It was quite interesting and made me excited to start my finance classes in January. We then boarded a bus to go downtown to watch the play Million Dollar Quartette. It was an enjoyable show and absolutely adorable to see all of the folks who grew up in the era with Elvis, Johnny Cash, and others get right into the music, bopping around. We then went to a fantastic Tapas Bar for dinner with more food than anyone could dream of eating. It brought me back to my days in Spain.

Tomorrow I have a shopping trip planned with my friend, MK, the one who is studying to become a homeopath. Then it is packing and off to NY for the long weekend. I am very much looking forward to visiting with everyone!

Until next time!

About imatravelin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.