Existing Member?

Beamish and me wales, England, Scotland, Wales

Bastille day

FRANCE | Wednesday, 16 July 2014 | Views [325]

First let me correct the illusion that it rains all the time.  I n fact it hasn't rained for a week now, mornings have been 98% sunny but come knocking off time at noon the clouds have usually built up, so its more like british summer rather than unbroken blue skies. Temperatures alzo seem a bit down at the moment, but the gardens still need watering every night to keep things green.

14 JulyBastille day, started noon on th 13th with cannon fire echoing down the valley. That evening accompanied by a band and a flag, the mayor led a procession of people holding lanters and flames around the town, the national anthem was played before and after each stage, and culminated in a spectacular firework display,  the echoes of the bangs sounding like a train. Next day in the morning the mayor had another wander with his band around town this time accompanied by the firemen, councillors, and others, syarting of course with the national anthem, this was repeated after the walk, and in between each persons speech,  before and after the sardana and by the time I left at onepm, I'd  heard it 6 times. Evidently the firemen let kid run riot over their machines and took some for a short ride ( more like red transits rather than big things with ladders), some fair stalls were set up , political spouting and the most dreadful singing band ever.Went with Pat and Alan to fairy godmothers for very nice meal so escaped the rest of the evening, which was more sardanas and the terrible music till after midnight.

They certainly make much more of things than any of the saints days or the 12th of July,   but definitely heavy on the Marseilles

.Escaping off to Carcassone on Thursday, about 5

0 miles due north, 125 miles by road, and on my cheap fare journey will take about6-7 hours to get there.  On e way of seeing the countryside, and may even have unbroken  blue skies in the afternoon, shame I'll be on the bus, all that time to sleep in a strange bed and have 6 hours sightseeing...must be mad!!

 

About imaoptimist


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.