Existing Member?

Beamish and me wales, England, Scotland, Wales

La feux de la saint jean

FRANCE | Tuesday, 24 June 2014 | Views [245]

I suppose it equates to midsummer dawn dances. Post war some madcap climbed the summit of the local mountain Caingou, and lit a fire at the peak. In the 60's someone else did the same on his birthday thus the tradition developed. I suppose it helps on all the hill tops around here is an old stone lookout where years back they used to light beacons in times of danger. Amyway now each village has a  bonfire lit by 'runners' who have come down from the peak (local kids)  a local band playing and of course the sardana, about 5 versions of it  only 2 men this time all the rest were women and of course the more complicated dancing on the spot.Unfortunately each tune sounded the same.  A young boy and girl both pre school were giving it their all, while the older kids just played chase around the square.be fun getting them up in the morningAnd to finance it all little bouquets of magic herbs were sold -most of which ended on the bonfire!.... Just thinking down the valley at Amelie les bain.. the bonfire was set up on a stony island in the middle of the river.... well today, the thunderstorm was accompanied by an hours torrential rain... and where would the dancers dance?

About imaoptimist


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.