Existing Member?

Beamish and me wales, England, Scotland, Wales

summers here

FRANCE | Wednesday, 11 June 2014 | Views [216]

I never thought l'd say it but the bells are not so noticable now, sometimes I miss them altogether.  Not so good when using them as an alarm.  Today as well the cow bells at the other, other side of town sounded almost like a babbling brook, quite restful when I was strimming away in the 36 degree heat . They measure that in direct sunlight here, but there was a nice breeze and no skin buring so can't have been that hot. Looks set to be  reasonable  week, after all rainy may is now over.  Yesterday was the only June bank holiday, the pentecost. Celebrated locally by a pilgrimage to a hermitage near the border. 8k of near vertical walking, via footpath so I took the bus... the last 4 k by road took 10 mins,. A service, a picnic and the traditional dance of solidarity, la sardana,  which was evidently so theatening to Franco that he banned it. I was expecting something inflammatory, but it is a group of men, this time aged 20-80 holding hands., walk to the right,  hop, skip, jump, walk to the left and repeat with a twirl at the end. Rather a strange place, a church and restaurant with accomodation. Open all year, but in winter the road is closed often because of snow so how  do you get to it then? 

 

About imaoptimist


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.