Existing Member?

Donna's travels

Siriraj hospital

THAILAND | Saturday, 1 March 2008 | Views [629]

So where did I go when I went out yesterday afternoon?

I walked down to the river and got on a ferry to go across to Siriraj hospital. I'm rather glad that I did some research beforehand and knew to get the orange flag ferry because there is no signage at all.

There is a museum at the hospital that is split into 6 parts. It's mainly anatomy and forensics stuff, but also a new exhibit on the 2006 tsumnami and some parasitology stuff. The exibits were really interesting. Lots of deformed babies, bones and the like. They also have several full naturally mummified bodies (including murders etc) and lots of photos of different types of wounds and the bones from people who had those types of wounds. The museum is mostly set up for medical students, but a lot of other people go there too. Because it's set up mainly for self-learning by medical students there isn't much in the way of explanation about things, which was a bit disappointing for me - I like to know the stories.

In the anatomy part they had quite a number of full bodies, including a the full nervous system and full arterial system disected from two adults. Those were rather amazing from the point of view of actually managing to do that and keep it in one piece. There was also some weird stuff like where they have the bones of the middle ear there is also a full, but tiny (maybe 5cm diameter) skull for no apparent reason. That skull was rather freaky jsut because it was so small. There was also another skull that looked way too big to be normal.

Grant - you'll just have to go there. You're not allowed to take photos and my camera was playing up anyway. That was another potential disaster (I didn't have a very good day yesterday), but it turned out that it's my battery charger that's stuffed not the camera. I've bought some disposable batteries and I'll see about finding a new charger at some point.

Tags: Sightseeing

About ickis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.