Existing Member?

Packedin I've packedin and living the world.

Packedin Noosa

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 18 October 2008 | Views [963]

 After leaving a night early from the hostel in Brisbane I hitched a ride with a couple of guys who suggested to try the Dolphin hostel in Noosa. We shared the petrol and headed off in an old campervan which actually suited the guys well having half finished paint work and a large fake skull on the dashboard.

The Dolphin hostel is a brightly painted pink hostel which is set up around a walled courtyard with rooms set around it and also a line of rooms behind with an almost outdoor bathroom situated at the end of the row. After quite a cold night under just a light cotton sheet, which seems to be the norm in Queensland, I had to sneak out my sleeping bag for the sequential nights. All the hostels have a no sleeping bag policy to try and stop the spread of bed bugs, which I can understand but I do wish they would give duvets during the winter months as it is very cold at night.

The hostel tries to sell itself as a chill out relaxation hostel but really does miss the mark although it is a nice hostel, one of the better ones I have been in during my now five month stay in Australia. I know it’s hard to judge what the hostels will be like from reading reviews, as it does depend on the people staying there, but you get a feel for them as soon as you arrive what type of place it is going to be and I wish there was a good review system for hostels or some genuine reviews by seasoned travellers and not just by the party people.

At first glances the hostel looks as if it is going to be a chillout hostel with hammocks, large comfy outdoor sofas and Buddhism symbols all about, but after a night there you soon find out that it is another hostel like most of the rest.  The hostel is a good one and all the people were nice who were there at the time. If you get to stay longer than a couple of days you will meet new friends. I would recommend it to anyone just don’t go with an impression of a hostel to have a quiet chilled time but also it won’t be a loud party fest either so don’t worry.

Noosa it’s self is split into different areas the main being Noosa Heads and Noosa Junction. There is a lovely walk along a promenade along the river and also in the national park areas. You could even be lucky to see a Koala in a tree in the hostel. The small town has two main roads with shops and cafes which can be nice lit up at night. A few people I met there had been back and forth a few time between Brisbane and Noosa to experience both a city night life and then the sun soaked beaches and town in Noosa.

Tags: backpacking, hostel, iainob1, noosa, packedin

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.