Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

work hard play hard (rose)

EGYPT | Sunday, 3 October 2010 | Views [1367] | Comments [1]

So it seems we're not too good at the road trip element of our road trip: too easily lured into life in beautiful places, and enjoying putting down some roots for a while. 'Nesting', some might say, but I say nay: merely 'resting'. We've now been in Dahab for who knows how many weeks, with intentions to stay until at least mid-November. Our little apartment is air-conditioned and basic, with two bedrooms, an adopted cat and no more cockroaches.

What are we doing here? It's not all diving and shisha-smoking that's for sure. Well, some diving yes, but no loafing allowed: gotta earn a buck.

So I'm working a few shifts a week at the brilliantly-named Furry Cup beach bar (probably not one for the CV!): sand between my toes, water lapping the shore just metres away, local characters, crazies, and self-confessed 'professional beach bums' propping up the bar. Never, ever, a dull moment.

Yoga, which has been bubbling away in the background for years, has become a far bigger part of my life. I've been practicing - and helping out on reception and in the pretty rooms - at the hugely inspirational El Salam Camp (also on facebook). Together, Dakini, Amy and the rest of the El Salam family have created something magical in that space, and after a three-hour class under the stars, in the warm Dahab breeze, I am always moved to tears.

What else? We've been doing the marketing (including creating this website) for the hottest, newest restaurant in town, Chillax, a divine little sanctuary in a secret alley just off the main boulevard. It's run by the charming Bron from NZ, and the gourmet burgers she makes are to die for, which is just as well, as we get paid in them!

And in return for our next dive qualification, the Rescue Diver course, we have replaced the very tired website for Adventure Spot dive centre (see it here, but not for long) with this swanky new one.

Huw is finding plenty to write about, and has some more stories commissioned. He's also making a promotional film for our friends at Dive Urge.

And for a delicious free meal, I found myself proof-reading the new menu for Ali at Mirage. I did it quickly and I did thoroughly, but it made me a little sad: was I really depriving future Mirage customers of the delight in seeing 'muchroom' and 'green and red paper' on the pizza menu? I've since decided that menu-proofing is ethically wrong, and won't be doing any more of that.

Amongst all this, we have a string of friends and family joining us, sharing our 'journey'. Alex was the first, and I've missed him dearly since he left. Lisa and Tone have been here a week, and don't ever want to leave, and Nicola and Tom arrived yesterday for a long weekend, and are settled and currently snoozing soundly in our spare room. Next out, my amazing folks, then Huw's too, in early November.

So for now, the road is not so long and not so winding (though we take our lonely beast out for spins and BBQs in the mountains every now and then to stretch her legs and stop her feeling too rejected). But it's glorious to have a place to call 'home' for a while. 

Route, photos and more at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

The Furry Cup bar, Dahab:

Comments

1

The Furry Cup! We loved it there!Ah - late breakfast on the verander. Totally awesome that you havent made it too far in a short time. My travel thoughts are with you and the only thing i can say is keep on cruising dudes!X

  Alby Ball Oct 10, 2010 9:04 PM

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.