Existing Member?

Julie and Craig's sailing trip

Hendaye to Guetaria

SPAIN | Wednesday, 25 August 2010 | Views [777] | Comments [4]

We ended up spending 10 days in Hendaye with 3 in the marina and 7 at anchor in the bay.  We met some great local people including Jeanlouis and Freddie.  Jeanlouis is a local surfboard shaper and Freddie a physio.  They invited us to their house for dinner which was a great experience in a country property with views over the rural landscape and they also joined us for dinner on Hullabaloo.  Jeanlouis shaped a new surfboard for Craig.  We also had a visit from a friend, Tyrone, from Lorne who spent a few days with us. We visited Biarritz and San Sebastian by train for a day and then sailed to San Sebastian and anchored in the bay for a night.  We were lucky enough to be there in the middle of an internatinal fireworks competition which was pretty spectactular when viewed from Hullabaloo.  I forgot to mention the town of Fuenterrabia which is an old historic Spanish town across the river from Hendaye.  We spent some time there as well.  Tapas, Tapas and more Tapas - which  we love!  We are now in Guetaria, a small fishing village near San Sebastian.  Great sunny  weather every day.  Fresh fish, walks, swimming off the boat and generally kicking back.  We haven't sailed very far yet though so must get cracking....well maybe in a few days.  New photos updated.

Cheers for now.

 

Comments

1

Hi Craig & Julie
Well it sounds like you've settled in to a travel tempo and are having a relaxing time of it. Good for you!
It seems as tho everything is shipshape on board and that you are having some great experiences / wining and dining with the locals as well.
I imagine you are loving the feel of Hullabaloo and that she is living up to expectations (or exceeding expectations even).
Just so you know what it's like back here down under and what you aren't missing out on - it was 2C at 800 hours today.
Craig, how are your dates for Rabat? I'll need to think about an airline ticket before too long.
Good to hear from you, cheers for now, Doug.

  Doug Williams Aug 25, 2010 11:03 AM

2

Hi Julie,

Your trip looks absolutely incredible and I can only hope to be able to do a similar trip one day! Ive just been over in Europe and we did get to sail across the Adriatic sea along the coast of Croatia which was a breathtaking experience so I feel like I know a little bit about how beautiful it is to sail in the European summer, howeveer, I have a feeling you'll be enjoying a lot more sailing than I got to.

Enjoy your well deserved break!

Kind Regards,
Jaclyn Schultz

  Jaclyn Schultz Aug 30, 2010 6:06 PM

3

Hi Craig and Julie
A delayed reply due to work and skiing weekends! It's been the coldest and wettest winter here! So seeing photos of you longing around Hullabaloo and imagineing the swimming, surfing, socialicing and sightseeing you are up to is quite a paradox for us. But we have enjoyed three weeknds skiing including last weelend August 28 and 29 in classic conditions. I left Sandi and Hugh at home to attend the World Loppet Birkenbeiner crosscountry ski event at Falls Creek. All time conditions with around two metres of snow, clear sky and no wind to speak of. It's been a regular event for 15 years for the crew I go with and we had a ball as usual.
Looking forward to reading and seeing the surf breaks. You will be in the 'zone' now........What day is is it Julie? Happy sailing and I look forward to the next up date
Cheers Dave F


  Dave Farrell Sep 1, 2010 12:35 PM

4

Hi Guys,
Sounds awesome, so why don't you go and get stuffed and leave the rest of us to live our lives of routine and boredom.
Only kidding, couldn't be happier for both of you. Sounds like eveything you had hoped for and looks sensational.
Not much happening here, considering the job with "traffic control" group. If it happens, we may have a holiday beforehand (possibly November in Vegas) and may try to track you down somewhere if it works.
Take care and look after each other. Paul and Rosina

  Paul Warman Sep 5, 2010 11:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.