Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Trekking

THAILAND | Tuesday, 22 May 2007 | Views [571] | Comments [1]

Tired of my city-girl ways, I signed up for a ‘trek’. Around Chiang Mai area are hills, lots of trees, rivers, tribes, waterfalls, elephants- you know, Thai countryside.  Just what the soul needed. I took my first elephant ride through the jungle, which I enjoyed way too much- they are the perfect vehicle for traversing wild territory – forget the Land Cruiser. The elephant takes a lot of fuel though – average 3 bananas/sugar canes per step. Apparently the daily cruise is also known to them as the ‘snack walk’. When the tourists ran out of treats, the ol’ girl foraged, up the hillside, down the gully. Quite exciting as she half climbed a tree. I couldn’t believe our rigged seat stayed on her back!

Next was the waterfall hike where we also saw some hilltribes. Nothing too exciting, but nice being out in trees and escorted by a little pack of tribe-dogs.

A close rival to the elephant ride, though, was definitely the bamboo raft ride. It was 8 fat bamboos wide and about 25 feet long, driven by a standing guy with a long pole. Huck Finn Thai style. Due to the large amount of rain in recent days, the river was fast and fun. Minus the one section we got out and walked due to the death of 2 japanese tourists the month before on that patch when the river was that high. Eek. Just about the time I started thinking, ‘riding is nice, but I’d like to try driving this thing’, the guide handed me the pole. Of course it was a wide, boring part, but I still pretended.

 

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

would love to get on an elephant for my 40th but got no idea of goin about it,would be great if you could help.

  WAYNE Oct 12, 2007 8:30 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.